Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogueVasion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
MA/CT
Well, here's my predicament...

My Blackberry Curve is on its last leg and I really need to upgrade it soon (and I've decided not to go the Bold route). I plan on buying the iPhone to replace the Curve on Monday after work. Here's where I have a question.

If I purchase either:

A. A refurbished 16GB iPhone 3G off of AT&T.
B. A brand new 16GB iPhone 3G at Bestbuy.

Will I be able to purchase the new or revised one at a reduced price in the summer? Would I have to turn in my old iPhone if it does become a possibility? And which route to you think I should go: A or B...

Thanks in advance!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
C. wait for WWDC/late june and get the new one.

But of course you can get the new one. you prob will have to sign a new contract. The only way to get the old model is prob to go right after the new one is released because around may-ish apple will stop making/shipping the current one to make way for the new one to be released in late june; or you can prob get a refurb.

RogueVasion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
MA/CT
I'm going to see if it can withstand another month and a half...I may have to buy a cheap prepaid phone to hold out.

But adding on to my question: Say I buy the iPhone on Monday. And in the beginning of June, they release the iPhone revision. Will I be able to renew my contract for two years, buying the new iPhone at a reduced upgrade price, and keep my iPhone 3G?

*Even if I cannot do that, I'll probably buy it, test it for a month, and return it...paying the restock fee.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I'm going to see if it can withstand another month and a half...I may have to buy a cheap prepaid phone to hold out.

But adding on to my question: Say I buy the iPhone on Monday. And in the beginning of June, they release the iPhone revision. Will I be able to renew my contract for two years, buying the new iPhone at a reduced upgrade price, and keep my iPhone 3G?

*Even if I cannot do that, I'll probably buy it, test it for a month, and return it...paying the restock fee.

Currently when you buy an iPhone you are committed to it for 2 years. If you want to upgrade, say in June, you would have to pay an early upgrade price.

Currently:

New Contract: 8GB-$199 16GB-$299

Existing Early Upgrade: 8GB-$399 16GB-$499

No Contract but locked to AT&T: 8GB-$599 16GB-$699

Obviously you have the refurbished prices as well but those are 2 year contracts also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.