iPhone 3G Call Reception - better or worse?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yadmonkey, Jul 13, 2008.

?

How does the 3G compare in phone call reception?

1. The 3G iPhone gets better call reception.

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. The original iPhone gets better call reception.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. They perform about the same.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Thought it would be useful to collect opinions from those who have used both versions of the iPhone. So, how does the phone call reception compare on the iPhone 3G?

2. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I hope people will use this poll... I've seen various posts about this here and there, but some are talking about data and others about call reception, so thought it would be useful to get some numbers about call reception specifically through a poll, so please let us know how your reception compares!

3. david803sc macrumors member

david803sc

You need to add another option, with 3G disabled on the 3G iPhone does your reception improve? In my case the answer is YES.

4. 36183 Guest

yeah i get better with 3G off on my new iPhone than the old one, with 3G off i get consistent 5 bars. reception with 3G on is another story.

5. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

That's pretty interesting. Unfortunately it's too late to add that to the poll, but it would be easy enough for people to comment on it here. Is it easy to turn 3G on and off? That'd be important if there's really such a discrepancy in call reception.

6. 36183 Guest

turning 3G off is fairly easy, just go to the Settings -> General -> Network and slide the thing to off

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

3G on and i get zero to half a bar. 3G off and I get about 4 to 5 bars. I live in a covered area according to ATT

8. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah thats true but its interesting because when i was in an area that was borderline 3G but then it was almost outside of 3G coverage, my 3G bars were like at 1-2. Though when i got a call...clarity was still amazing. That is something i DID NOT expect...makes the 3G even better :D

9. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I wonder how many people who put that the 3G gets worse reception have tried turning off 3G. If this could apply to you, give it a shot and let us know!

So it seems that the best thing to do - for battery life AND reception - is keep 3G off by default until you use it. Perhaps a super-simple app to toggle 3G quickly would be in order.