iPhone 3G Camera Concept

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiralstairs, Aug 4, 2008.

1. spiralstairs macrumors newbie

Hey iPhone fans,

Many people are asking for a better camera application on the iPhone. Apple still hasn't done anything about it. So, I decided to give it a try.

I don't have much experience in developing applications, so I did why I could do. Design. I put together models and concepts of what the new iPhone camera could look like into a mini guided tour. It's not a real application, it's simply an idea of what it could look like. I would really appericiate it if you guys took at look at the video.

Watch the video: http://pliqq.com/iphonecamera/index.html

Watch the video in low quality: http://www.vimeo.com/1354526

Diggs are greatly appreciated :D This way we can show more people the video.

Thanks,
    Louis

[​IMG]

2. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Pretty good. I was actually wondering why someone hasn't developed the technology to control another camera using the iPhone.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Concept is great, but here are some issues:
    1) How do you plan on fixing noise and pixelation resulted from the digital zoom?
    2) How about low light?

Love the effects and all, and the video camera would be nice, but again quality is more important than quantity, so if you can get the quality of the pictures to looks better than that would be a hit.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I love that Decemberists song :)

I think zooming while taking video would be easier said than done. Sure, it looks easy when you are using a stationary phone, but what happens in the real world when I can't even hit the camera button with just one hand? I need one to hold the phone, and one to press the button. I hate it. I couldn't imagine pinching and recording video with just one hand.

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

nice concept! great music too!

there are jailbroken camera apps that do have many of these functions. i don't know if there is one that combines video and camera though. i used snapture which was free and worked great for pics. can't remember what the name of the video one i had was.

anyway, all that to say, your concept could definitely become a reality. it just needs a dev or two.

i wonder if a camera app goes beyond the restrictions of the SDK. i've been really surprised that one hasn't been released yet.

6. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

7. yode macrumors 6502

wow, very professionally done video. I could see this on the apple website. Nicely done.

8. spiralstairs thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure the App would even be possible to make in the current SDK. We also may need Apple to make some hardware improvements on the iPhone (3-5 Mega Pixels, small flash, etc.) in order for it to run smoothly. I just was putting the idea out there.

Everyone seems to like the music :p

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Best part of the video! I love all the bands used... :D

10. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

11. oursfan macrumors member

I agree! I hate the fact that you have to use both hands to take quick pics. I understand that this is in reality a glorified camera phone so I do not really get all upset about the camera feature on my iPhone that much.

Here are my quick thoughts on some things that can be done. Or maybe they can't be. I think if apple or a developer decides to take a stab at putting a zoom feature on the iPhone camera they should look at possibly make the volume switch on the side of the phone the zoom in and out switch. It is in the perfect place when taking pics in landscape mode and it is more ergonomic. Not sure if that can be done though. I am no developer.

I just think that if you could incorporate that volume switch into it somehow it would be a nice touch.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Good music - pity you couldn't let it run over the whole slide show ;)

Was mulling over it in the car a few minutes ago - a thought. Might be unfounded, but let's try it out:

Apple's hanging back on the camera apps, just like the video apps.

a) Apple is going to bring out video for a phone we know can handle it within the year (See qik.com example, et al)

b)Apple all along knew it wasn't going to add video till Summer 2009.
    Quicktime X and Snow Leopard. Seeing as the iPhone runs off a Mac OS, my thinking would may well be getting the SL goodness onto the iPhone.

c) other.

13. spiralstairs thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I see what your saying, but what if you had to change the volume as you were taking a picture?

14. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Fantastic and very professional looking vid. Nice job.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Awesome, stick with it...(Are we hoping for larger storage space in the 64GB range?):cool:

16. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Very cool video and alot of that doesn't seem to far fetched. Probably some of those feature's will make it into the next iPhone in June/July of 09 I would assume. :)

17. spiralstairs thread starter macrumors newbie

18. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

hey guys great app hopefully it will be available soon...as for the music ...are all the tune from the decemberists...if not can anyone list the songs....
    thanks in advance

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No surprises, Radiohead to start. The others are mostly familiar, but I haven't the foggiest the names.

20. spiralstairs thread starter macrumors newbie

If you stay to watch the whole video you will see the music listed near the end after the credits.

[​IMG]

21. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

sorry i am at work didn't wait to see credits.....

22. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

That was an incredible video, you may not have the skills of a programmer, but you sure do in the editing room!

23. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

nice! what program did you use to edit? and do everything. nice finger movement thing, looks very professional and realistic.
    You should pitch this to APPLE!

24. spiralstairs thread starter macrumors newbie

I used photoshop to create the concept UI, then put the images together and added effects (and fingers) in Keynote. Glad you like it.

25. spiralstairs thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, thanks. I'd like to be both :p