iPhone 3G camera is not as good as the one on iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobile23, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

after using the iPhone 3G for couple weeks, i gotta say that the camera on the iPhone 3G is not as good as the one on the original iPhone. i have two iPhone 3G and two iPhone 2G. a lot of my photo taken by my iPhone 3Gs are sort of like having a gray layer on top of them. does anyone have the same experience?

2. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Used both and see no difference in either

Pictures taken by both were of the same quality

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Yeah seriously, post your comparisons so that we can see what you are seeing. I don't believe it.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've been getting better pictures with the iPhone 3G camera, especially compared side-by-side. Maybe yours is defective? One guy had a camera that was taking blurry photos, then he exchanged it and his new one was alright.

5. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

okay, i will post some photo later on.... the problem is i have two iPhone 3Gs. and both of them don't take photo as good as my original iPhones. my iPhone 2G are using firmware 1.1.4. and now i am thinking if the firmware actually make any difference :rolleyes:

6. wronski macrumors 6502

7. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

yea i mean why isnt it 10.1 mp with interchangeable lens's, manual mode and a external flash connection.?
    its a freakin phone not a camera, for a camera on a phone its pretty dam good!
    if you people dont complain about one thing, then you complain about the other! it gets a bit annoying

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The camera on the iPhone 3G is anything but bad. It's a nice bit better than the camera on the first iPhone. I don't have direct picture comparisons, but I did compare them before I sold my first-gen. One thing I've noticed was that the iPhone 3G takes slightly clearer and crisper pictures that look better at high-resolutions. Here's some pictures I've taken with my iPhone 3G (click on them for full-resolution versions, but keep in mind that they always look great on the 480x320 screen, even zoomed in, most of the pictures look best scaled at around 40-50%, though some come out great at 1600x1200):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And in low light...

[​IMG]

I took this one in a car so it didn't come out as good as it would've if there wasn't glass in the way. I saw the NJ News 12 reporter and cameramen in the car next to us to report a fire, so I took a few pictures of that.
    [​IMG]

It isn't as bad as you guys think. It's definitely the best I've seen on a cellphone. I haven't taken any good pictures in full daylight, but the iPhone 3G takes its' best pictures in full sunlight.

9. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

10. ibizarocks macrumors regular

if anything it's better!! with the original i always got blurry shots, now I get crisp images

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've attached (with duct tape) my marginal iPhone camera to my Canon 12.0 mp and took a picture of Pamela Anderson and David Letterman. I've placed a side-by-side comparison and I think it looks pretty good. I'm trying to mass-produce these iPhone+camera concoctions, but I'm stuck on two, b/c it's tough to find two-sided duct tape. This sounds like what most people are demanding from Apple. Damn I'm good...LOL :p

Attached Files:

12. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

What...? Taking a picture of your TV isn't a good comparison.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dude, it's a joke... u know = LOL :p:D