iPhone 3G Canceling Specifics & Clarification

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3Tabernacles, Aug 26, 2008.

1. 3Tabernacles macrumors newbie

Hi,

Can someone clarify the AT&T return policy because I am getting too many opinions from AT&T reps.

I bought 2 new 16 GB 3G iPhones when they were released the 1st day. I paid $299.00 for each iPhone (subsidized). If I cancel one of the iPhones and pay the cancelation fee of $175.00, do I have the option of keeping the iPhone and pay full price for it, or must I surrender it? Can someone elaborate on this?

-3T

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Well if nobody has answered this by the time I get this typed, the policy is that if you pay the cancellation fee, you are allowed to keep the phone.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

if you cancel after 30 days, you pay the ETF and keep the phone. before 30 days and you must return it

4. 3Tabernacles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

The reason I asked for clarification is this.

If i can keep the phone, them I'll simply place my employers AT&T SIM card in the iPhone. I have been using it ever since I bought the iPhone and now I after I pay the EFT, I will save $80.00 a month on my AT&T plan. The cost of 2 iPhones is way too much money and highway robbery. Thanks again.

-3T

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

When you ask for something and then sign contract it's not "highway robbery". :confused:

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Why even bother getting two phones then? Use your head and think in advance. I too have two 3G phones and plan on keeping them most likely until the next iPhone next summer. I knew what I was getting into.

The only highway robbery being comiited is you by breaking your contract.

7. VPofIT macrumors newbie

VPofIT

AMEN!

8. 3Tabernacles thread starter macrumors newbie

THEN Allow ME to clarify

:confused:

Hmmm, Let's see, Economic hardships, layoffs, unexpected emergencies!

Hindsight sight is 20/20. I hope nothing happens to any of you. God forbid you'd have to surrender YOUR iPhone! geeeesh!

9. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I think people can understand that. It was the "highway robbery" comment that set them off.

10. justanothernerd macrumors member

If you cancel your contract, do they at least unlock your iphone?

11. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Not that I am aware of at this time. And unfortunately in the US they are not required to do so.

Sorry.

12. justanothernerd macrumors member

Err, I'm not canceling! I was just curious :p

13. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If he contacts AT&T to cancel his account and agrees to pay the ETF, then he is acting in perfect accordance with the requirements laid out in the contract, so there's no highway robbery going on by any parties in this case.

(AT&T is possibly losing out on being able to recover at least a portion of the subsidy they paid out when the iPhone was purchased, but if AT&T wasn't willing to accept that risk when entering into the contract, then they wouldn't have inserted the ETF clause in the contract in the first place, or else they would have set the contractual ETF at a higher number.)