Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spltngheadache

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Hello everyone. I unfortunately had to switch to Verizon recently because of unacceptable coverage in my area (voice calls were just impossible on AT&T). That aside --

I would like to continue using the iPhone as my iPod. My question is this, can I continue using the iPhone 3G as an iPod even if I restore the phone? I know I could with my original iPhone as long as I kept the inactive sim in the phone, but at that time I still had AT&T service, now that I don't I'm worried if I restore, it'll call me on it and ask for a contract.

I found this apple support article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406 titled "Using an original iPhone without a wireless service plan" which does state:

"If you upgrade to an iPhone 3G or cancel your wireless service account/tariff for your original iPhone, it is possible to continue using the original iPhone without an active wireless service (using it with Wi-Fi only)."

My big concern is that this article is about the original iPhone, not any of the newer models. Has anyone been in this situation before that can tell me whether it will work if I end up having to restore the phone, as long as I keep my now inactive no service sim in there?

Thanks!

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Don't worry. You can hactivate or try a dead AT&T Sim. If nothing works, get a friends AT&T and activate your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.