iPhone 3G can't connect to Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by depthpercep, Sep 2, 2010.

1. depthpercep macrumors newbie

Have had issues with my iPhone 3G version 4.0.2 connecting with my MacBook Pro. It's been awhile now that it hasn't been able to connect. It wasn't able to connect since version 3. The problem started when I upgraded my laptop to Snow Leopard. I can connect to the same exact laptop but when booted into the PC portion. I can also connect to my girlfriends MacBook which is running Leopard. I can also connect to an HP laptop. The phone charges when plugged into the wall. It's not an iPhone issue as my girlfriends iPhone also cannot connect to my laptop.

I remember looking this issue up a few months ago and from what I found, there were quite a lot of issues out there with people not connecting to Snow Leopard. Although there were no solutions then. Thought I'd do some searching today and I couldn't find much at all on it. Did it get scrubbed?

I found something on deleting Xcode but I do not have it installed. I've tried everything. I reset the PRAM, hard rebooting the iPhone, updated iTunes, reinstall iTunes, deleted cache and preferences, repaired permissions, etc.

Is there a solution other than downgrading to Leopard?

Thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try reinstalling iTunes. Or better yet do a complete uninstall and reinstall of iTunes.

3. depthpercep thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I uninstalled iTunes and trashed preferences and cache twice. Installed fresh version. It's definitely not an iTunes issue, if it was, the phone would at least charge through the USB port which it's not. It's not a USB port fault because when I boot into the PC side, it will connect, charge and be recognized by iTunes PC.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

open your window (not windows!) and toss the mac out the window, close the window and lock it (so the mac cant climb back in!).

just kidding, if you can connect to other mac computers and pc's then it is not the phone. it is most likely the usb port on your mac. look for an updated driver for your usb port. that may fix it. cause if you recently changed operating systems you may have overlooked a driver or update. if not, try changing the usb port on your mac.

5. depthpercep thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm about to toss the friggen thing out the window. However, it can't be a USB port issue. It happens on both the USB ports AND when I use BootCamp to boot into the Microsoft XP OS on the SAME laptop, it connects just fine. It seems as if the Snow Leopard OS has something built into the system that conflicts with the iPhone. Driver, etc. The only solution may be to downgrade to Leopard. I won't lose out on anything (other than money and time) but I just may have to take that route.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

but this only happened after your upgrade correct? then it could and most likely is a driver for your usb port. when you upgrade operating systems there are several updates you have to do and this could be one of them. I could tell you how to find out on a pc but not a mac. try to google it but if it worked before and not after Ill bet its it! good luck

7. depthpercep thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer recognizes the iPhone in the system profiler but I'm getting a "Unknown (Device hasn't been configured)" message. Here are the details:

iPhone:

Product ID: 0x1292
    Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
    Version: 0.01
    Serial Number: d6b5966ec95a89de1cdad3d3b2b765013c8b0008
    Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
    Location ID: 0xfa200000
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

8. depthpercep thread starter macrumors newbie

After removing iTunes and AppleMobileSupport.kext, the phone connects to the mac. Upon reinstalling a fresh version of iTunes 10, it will no longer connect.