Iphone 3g can't connect to WIFI

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slapurself, Mar 11, 2010.

1. slapurself macrumors newbie

I recently got my iphone about 2 days ago and today i tried to connect to wifi at my school. The iphone's Wifi is switched on. It says that theres signal but i can't load up Google.com. When i try to connect it says "connecting" and stays like that for a long time. My iphone is a 3g unlocked and jailbroken. I'm not sure if its the wifi i was trying to connect to or if its my Iphone. If i do a restore on my iphone will it still be Jailbroken? Please help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try a few other wifi connections. It might be just that particular network.
    If you restore you iphone to the latest 3.1.3 firmware it will lock up and you wont be able to unlock it and use it on a nonofficial carrier. You could rejailbreak it but obviously everything will be gone.
    If you want to remain unlocked you gotta be carefull not to update or restore to official firmware or you're taking a big risk of losing your unlock.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The OP will have to forget about the JB, if he can't get wifi working. He can determine if it's definitively hardware by using the freezer test (bagged up in two ziplock bags in a freezer) for 10 minutes to see if cooling allows wifi to work for a short time. If it's software, unless he can do what you said and show that it's just the certain wifi signal he's trying to get on, he's going to have to restore eventually and hope it works after and not mess up and go to 3.1.3.

4. slapurself thread starter macrumors newbie

So your telling me that if i Restore my iphone it will auto update to 3.1.3? I'm guessing it has something to do with the iphone missing some software. i also have the problem where it won't charge when i plug it in. When i plug it in to my computer it doesn't charge. When i restart my computer it charges. Some times it would die and just show a large battery in the middle with a little bit of red and at the bottom is a little thunder bolt type like icon. Is there anyways to fix that? Charger port replacement cuz it won't connect? Battery replacement?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its a 3G you can restore it to 3.1.2 if you wish still saving your unlock.