Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
It's simple. What I'm looking for has a dock connector to hook up to the iPhone on one end, then a line out (3.5mm or RCA) and power (USB or cigarette lighter) on the other end.

Without the "this accessory is not made for iphone etc. etc. " message.

any suggestions?

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
It's simple. What I'm looking for has a dock connector to hook up to the iPhone on one end, then a line out (3.5mm or RCA) and power (USB or cigarette lighter) on the other end.

Without the "this accessory is not made for iphone etc. etc. " message.

any suggestions?

Don't be as picky about the airplane mode msg :p

Seriously, my husband has a Griffin charger with a mini-stereo out on the side that works great... You just dismiss the stupid warning when you plug it in and all is good...

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Here is my set up
Apple Composite Cable http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

Griffin Powerjolt http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerjoltiphone

Connect Powerjolt to Cig lighter, then connect Apple cable to the USB on the Cig lighter, connect the 2 RCA ports to wherever you want too.

That's what I was thinking but I was looking for something maybe a little cheaper than 50 bucks, are there any other options out there? Also, do the audio outs act EXACTLY like having headphones plugged in? i.e. output sound from any application and output voices?

side note: it would be sick if this thing had a microphone or something like that, i would even go with a 3.5mm plug in if it could do a microphone and rcas, then I could route the mic to my headrest or visor and have sound through the speakers, or I could get the bluetooth adapter for my stereo, which is another 150 though...

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
the headphone port acts just like the dock connector audio out, except that you dont control the sound with the iPhone, the AUX does it for you. Hence in my car when I plug it in via the dock connector with the 2 RCA's, I control the music via my stereo speakers. When I connect it with the headphone -> RCA, i can control it via the iPhone and the stereo volume.

And im not sure about the mic thing...

gray67

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Can you make and receive calls with this?

You cannot control the phone with this unit. I have it now and it works OK for controlling the iPhone's iPod functions. I've noticed the remote is not the most sensitive in the world and it sometimes fails to detect that I've turned off the car engine and doesn't stop playback.

In order to send/make calls, you most likely would need a BT headset for the car. Of course the iPhone doesn't support voice dialing so making calls is a bit more problematic than taking calls.

..........?

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
Don't be as picky about the airplane mode msg :p

Seriously, my husband has a Griffin charger with a mini-stereo out on the side that works great... You just dismiss the stupid warning when you plug it in and all is good...

you know probably your husband mini-stereo out still works since apple didn't change that part but the part they changed is the charging. they removed the firewire charging from iphone 3g so most older charger used that part so if you look properly you will know the iphone is not being charged. only accessory that use the usb charging pin on the dock will work on the iphone 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.