Iphone 3g Car Charger with Aux output

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by navigates, Aug 12, 2008.

1. navigates macrumors 6502a

Is there a cable that can charge the iphone in car and at the same time have an aux output with the single input on the bottom. I know it can be done but has it been done? I've searched ebay but couldn't find what I am looking for. I can find the audio cable or the charger seperate.

Wish someone can make this.

2. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

I was looking for same thing I got the Griffin Autopilot and it works brilliantly with my iPhone 3g it's about £20 on amazon, bit more in pcworld.

3. pj rage macrumors 6502

+1, works great. Bought it at best buy, but had them match walmart.com's price that was $36 or something at the time. The only problem is the gsm buzz gets through when I'm on edge and/or changing towers on edge. Looking for an easy solution to that - got a ferrite bead to try out today and see if it helps.

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I highly recommend the Kensington LiquidAUX, which also throws in a wireless remote control you can strap to your steering wheel...definitely bonus points for safety. The Apple Store has it for $79.99, but I got it from Amazon for around $55.

5. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great responses. The Griffin is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll get it from buy.com. thanks for the quick response.

6. imthenachoman macrumors member

Have you had any problem with a loud buzzing sound?

7. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

I have a Griffin AutoPilot and an iPhone 3G and I get a high-pitched buzz/whistle which pulses in time to the amber light around the AutoPilot. It stops when the AutoPilot turns green which means the iPhone is fully charged. The noise wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact I need to turn my car stereo volume up so high in order to get decent sound output. It's really annoying because the system works fine otherwise!

I've emailed Griffin technical support about this issue just now and I'll try to remember to post their response here. Please give me a kick if you don't hear back in a day or two.

Cheers,
    Craig.

8. kerryrsmith macrumors newbie

Hi Craig,

I'm having the same problem with my AutoPilot. Did you ever manage to resolve the issue?

Cheers,
    Kerry.

9. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Not really no. What I do is use the headphone socket to connect the iPhone to my aux in socket on the car stereo. There is a slight glitch with this which means that I need to connect the headphone cable AFTER I have applied power to the iPhone via the Autopilot, otherwise the sound level is very low. By connecting the headphone socket after the power is applied, you are able to control the sound level using the volume controls on the iPhone.

Not ideal but I'm used to it now and just connect the dock cable then the headphone cable each time.

Hope this helps,
    Craig.

10. kerryrsmith macrumors newbie

Thanks Craig. I've just tried your suggestion, but unfortunately the result is the same. Having done some searching, I suspect that this may be a ground loop issue and will look into trying a ground loop isolator.

11. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

This, but I bought two of those for like $35 they were on sale @ amazon. I haven't even used the other one, is still wrapped, I might sell it on Ebay.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I bought this one.

Cheap and worked with both my 3GS and now my iPhone 4.

Took about 7-8 days from China, but well worth the wait.