iPhone 3G Charged via iPad Wallcharger...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hydrocity, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Ok, well I got an iPhone 4, and my little sister is using my old iPhone 3G as a iPod Touch. Well the iPhone 3G was dead and my sister went to go plug it into the charger. When I entered my room, I saw the iPhone pluged into the iPad 15 (?) watt charger.

I took the charger cable out, and it was at 100%. It went from 0 - 100% in 45min.

First question, is my battery screwed in anyway? Is it ok?

Second question, I started to play with it a little bit and within 5 min of use, it dropped over 15% :eek:...I wasnt even playing a game or watching a video, it was just on the homescreen, full brightness.

I watched it go down 1% every 10 seconds...

2. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I use my iPad charger for my iPhone sometimes. I also notice it drains quicker after using the iPad charger. It does charge it faster though.

3. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

watts don't match. definitely not suggested to use it as it could easily damage your iphone or give false battery readings.

4. MCRunning macrumors 6502

You should be fine if it just was one time. Aren't the apple chargers smart chargers?

5. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks. Just wanted to be sure my battery wasnt fried.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Dockingbay94 is incorrect. All the units have smart chargers on board. They will use only the power they need to charge and no more.

You can safely use your iPad charger to charge any iPhone. It is not recommended to use the iPhone Charger to charge the iPad unless you turn the iPad off first. I have done it and it works but it takes quite a bit longer.

I have also charged my iPhone 4 from my iPad charger several times with absolutely no problem at all.