iPhone 3g charger melted & burned me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Proliphik757, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Proliphik757 macrumors newbie

I'm not going to write an article on this because many forums have already covered this but it looks like a known issue and I wish Apple would do something about it. This is my 4th iPhone ( all manufacture problems ) and I now need to exchange this one, but I may not. I will most likely go back to the T Mobile Sidekick wich offers better aim, and a more reliable phone all together.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If it didn't have a green dot on it, Apple already issued a recall and you had plenty of time to get a fixed one.

3. Proliphik757 thread starter macrumors newbie

Has a green dot on the adapter. I'm not new to technology nor am I to Apple products. I own a Mac and would never switch, but they need to address the many known issues of the iPhone 3g

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

User error.

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My iPhone charger cable (the USB cable) is starting to come apart. I think there are some quality issues that need to be addressed. I don't think we can just chalk the OPs experience up to user error.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What user error can be experienced with a power adaptor?

I can see isolated cases of any power adaptor failing (with smoke/fire/sparks etc. as symptoms).

7. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Pics, so that I don't repeat what you just did...

9. Proliphik757 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll post pics when I get home, using the iPhone now and it won't let me post photos from the phones library. Looks very similar to others who have had the problem, it's odd that it blackens in the same spot. I'll also tag my photo so u know it's legit.

Now for most this problem may not be all that big, but I'm in the military and haven't seen an Apple store anywhere in the desert or in the back of an MV-22...
    Out there the iPhone is my entertainment with music and videos. I don't plan on buying back up iPods and chargers incase this were to happen again, but if it were to happen out there my morale would be lost with it.

Regardless as much money as the apple Corp has I wish they'd supply a better product

10. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Apple did say there was a problem and you had to go exchange them

That being said, my dads iPhone died the other day. I am really disapointed with the quality. Feature list is great.

DONT GO SIDEKICK

Look into unlocked nokia (N85 is a great phone I think. Never actually seen one in person, but when I upgrade I will get it. I am not upgrading soon. I have heard some people don't like look.), or G1

11. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Hey, give Apple a call if you have the chance. Let them know, they usually give some sort of compensation for the inconvenience, or at least that's what I've heard on these forum's. Hopefully, if everyone with the issue calls, they will work to find yet another fix for this adaptor. Making this thing compact was clearly not a good idea, I don't recall any issues with the iPhone 2G's power adaptor...

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Here's the deal.

If what you say is true (and you have not provided any reason to suspect otherwise), then this is a serious issue. If you call Apple and tell them this, they _will_ take you seriously -- product safety is a _huge_ deal for them. They most likely will ask you to send in the failed part so that they can have their engineering teams analyze it and see what caused the failure.

If the adapter melted and injured you, call Apple ASAP and explain the whole story. Just don't be surprised if they need your cooperation to analyze the failure.

13. Proliphik757 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody have a good direct number? I'd like to avoid voicebots if possible