IPHONE 3G charging issues!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshielim, Aug 31, 2008.

1. joshielim macrumors newbie

Is it true that the iphone will run from ac power after fully charge?? I have been charging my iphone when not in use even when battery fully charge. Wouldn't want to do the wrong thing and instead cost the battery life to die out faster.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Once fully charged, the battery will stop charging, and the iPhone will run on the wall power. This will not hurt your battery.

There might be SOME activities (streaming audio, 3G phone calls, heavy data usage) where the phone MAY use battery power when plugged in because the USB hub you're connected to might not have sufficient power to handle it. So you might see your battery gauge drop in this case. It should charge back up when you go to idle again.

But no, keeping it plugged in will not overcharge the battery. I've done it myself every night since my iPhone 1st Gen over a year ago. Never once had an issue.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

What is it with noobs and their EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!! and titles that have nothing to do with the post?

There are no "issues!!!" anywhere in this post...only a question.

4. Matrix86 macrumors member

Don't the batteries in the Iphone/Itouch have no memory? So you could charge it whenever you want?

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually I believe that the iPhone (and just about all Li-ion devices) can't bypass the battery for direct power. So if plugged in and fully charged the charger is not sending any power into the device and if you operate the iPhone it works off the battery.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This has officially begun to annoy me. We will read your thread, it is not necessary to find progressively more complicated ways to get our attention.

7. Tosser macrumors 68030

That's not true. My recorder (SD 722) has a 4-prong plug. If you wanted to (it's even in the manual), you can solder it in a way so it can't charge the battery, and in another way, so it will never give power straight to the device (because of interference).

Another Li-ion "device" that also has 4 prongs, and surprisingly work without a battery attached, is the MBP and MB.
    My point is, of course, that many devices work when plugged in, even without a battery in it. It has nothing to do with it being Li-Ion or not.

8. joshielim thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically are u saying that it will run on ac power after fully charge or will it not run on ac power??

9. joebokeh macrumors member

it runs off the battery power.. so your phone is going through cycles if you keep it plugged forever..

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

Neither.

I am saying that one cannot generalize, and certainly not on the basis that something uses li-ion batteries.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Which parts are not true? The part where I said I believe (meaning it's not known to me as a fact) or the part where I said just about all (as in not necessarily all devices)?:confused:

12. Tosser macrumors 68030

Assumptions (or "beliefs" if you choose to call them that) can be right or wrong, true or false. Facts, on the other hand cannot.
    So, it may be true on the iPod/iPhone, but your assumption that li-on technology should somehow prevent this is untrue.

And to judge from what you said, your beliefs seems to stem from a notion that li-ion technology somehow prevents this as a whole.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You must suffer from selective reading (or comprehending). My post unambiguously states "just about all" (translation: NOT ALL CAN'T) li-ion devices can't bypass the battery (iPhone being one that can't I believe). I said JUST about which means that I believe some CAN. So in fact I said I believe that some li-ion devices CAN bypass the battery. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Li-ion uses a complex charging system (unlike the simple ni-cad system) that must be carefully monitored and managed. Li-ion cells are extremely volatile and any overcharging can result in a cell overheating and causing a chain reaction that can result in damage or fire. This is one reason why circuits are almost (please read the word ALMOST) always detected to charging only in a li-ion system and don't have added bypass circuitry.

14. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

dude lay off him he just got the broken speaker fixed on the bottom of his phone.

15. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I'm guessing English isn't his/her 1st language. Cut people some slack.

16. Tosser macrumors 68030

For the very reason you (once again) state: You use the qualifier "li-ion", as if that is at all relevant to anything. Or is it because "li-ion" is "short" for "rechargeable" in your mind?

Again, you jump to conclusions which are utterly unfounded. Yes, Li-Ion needs protective circuitry, but the reality of the matter is that that fact has nothing to do with having the ability to use the device without a battery in it in the first case.
    The battery technology and its ""complex" safety issues"has naught to do with wether one can bypass the battery or not.
    The bypass circuitry does just that: It's a circuitry which bypasses the charging circuitry entirely, so your notion that it makes it unsafe is utter ridiculous speculation. Did I mention FOUR prongs? That's because TWO of the prongs are wired to the charging circuitry, and the OTHER TWO are wired to power the device/laptop/whatever, completely bypassing the charging circuitry.

It's funny you now claim that it's a safety issue. Are you trying to make the argument that my recorder and our laptops or numerous audio players and cameras out there are "unsafe" because they bypass circuitry?

Now, I wonder who has problems with the comprehension :rolleyes:

17. kurtcobain macrumors newbie

you are such a douche

18. joshielim thread starter macrumors newbie

wait a min by u saying that contradict what the rest says. Now am a confuse soul. Could someone just come straight to the point and tell me run off ac power when fully charge or not??

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

It's perfectly fine running it off of AC power when fully charged. In fact, this is better, than having it charge, discharge and recharge over and over again. And joe is wrong: it's not cycling when connected and fully charged. It's called a smart charger for a reason.

One thing, though, is that once in a while - say once a month - you have to run it down to recalibrate the gauge, but since this is a phone, it will happen naturally, and not sit fully charged for even a fortnight.

20. joshielim thread starter macrumors newbie

for your information i didnt remember having my speaker fixed

21. Tosser macrumors 68030

He knows. The "speaker" he talks of is a microphone. He was taking the mickey.

22. joshielim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks toser u are the man

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You're just mad because the dents on your phone can't be fixed by an internet forum.

24. joshielim thread starter macrumors newbie

aniway realise the back of my iphone became pretty warm while running from ac power. Is this experience by you guys??

25. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

ya my phone will get super hot at times while on a charger. sometimes if its a hot day and its charging in my car it will overheat and turn off