iPhone 3g cheap ebay charger, safe for phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ubestbsteppin, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Hi all,

Are the cheapo chargers for sale on eBay for the 3G safe to use? I've heard stories about the cheaper chargers damaging the phone and charging it much faster then it was intended to be charged. Any suggestions?

2. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

I bought one for emergency use in my vehicle...used it twice with no problems. :)

3. trogdor! macrumors regular

Be careful, I had a cheap charger that worked with my original iPhone. With my new 3g however, it says unsupported device. I just bought the griffin car charger that AT&T sells in thier store for 25 bucks because it is certified to work with the 3g. I'm sure you might find it cheaper somewhere, personaly though I just need something that works good. I love the powerjolt design also, slim and doesn't protrude from the socket much. Just my opinion and experience.

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I am currently using a USB car charged for the iPhone 3g I bought for $5 on eBay in it car. One week later all is well.

5. kes601 macrumors regular

I bought a cheap wall charger off eBay, if the battery is below 20% it will not charge the phone, if it is above 20% it works fine. No damage from what I can tell.

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I am getting the point where i am sick of saying this, but UNLESS it SAYS iphone capatable, it can and WILL fry your iphone 3G. The 2Gs are ok becase they are made to pull 12Volts at 2 amps, but the 3G is made to pull 5Volts at 1 amp, which means both the voltage AND the amperage are WAY too much for ht ephone. Sure, it will charge it, but it will fry your phone.. the 2G, on the other hand just has a small different in the amperage when compared to the older ipod chargers, which is why the warning comes up, but not enough to fry it.. the 3G, on the other hand WILL get fried unless it says 5volt, 1amp, if it DOES NOT, then dont buy it.. If it makes the warning come up, DONT USE IT.

If you want more info, search my post history.