iPhone 3G commercial followed by BB Storm Commercial...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsquared, Nov 17, 2008.

1. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Kind of a random pointless thread but....

I was watching TV with my girlfriend and they just showed a iPhone 3G commercial followed by the new Blackberry Storm commercial. Talk about head to head competition.

They make the iPhone looks like a toy with game apps. The Storm, of course, bragged about it touch screen that "clicks." If I were Blackberry I would try to tell people about the features the Storm has the iPhone lacks, which we all know and complain about. (Won't say I wasn't a little jealous when I saw the landscape texting/e-mail)

I guess you can really tell who each company is marketing towards...

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

The clicks are a pointless feature IMO makes the phone seem cheap.

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Agreed, and the commentary by the "user" during the Storm commercial is highly annoying to say the least.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Do you think it's pointless for Apple to do the same thing on their new laptop trackpads?

5. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I do. Seems like just something to break.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Any Verizon commercial is beyond stupid because they keep showing that stupid "can you hear me now?" guy and 5 bazillion dorks behind him. It was also a little eerie how similar it looked to the iPhone. Two years later, RiM basically pulls a Microsoft and puts out an iPhone with their stamp on it?

7. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Didn't know there was a click on their track pad but yes it's pointless.

8. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

9. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

I just can't understand why Verizon/BB wouldn't try to show why the Storm is "better" than the iPhone. They should focus on the iPhone's short commings, the few that there are. I mean the iPhone clicks when you type but AT&T/Apple didn't advertise that, what would the point be????

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Well it does function as the mouse click, so... yeah.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Your words, "Kind of a random pointless thread but..." Enough said.:eek:

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

They did somewhat. They showed texting in landscape mode.

I found it funny that RIM isn't even mentioned in the commercial. It's like Verizon just stomped on them (like they do with their crippleware phone OS's).

13. citi macrumors 65816

citi

They say Blackberry in the beginning, at the end it says Blackberry Storm in big bold white letters. What more do you need?

14. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

The BB Storm physically clicks not just the noises it makes , they made the whole screen click in certain places so it still feels like an actual keyboard , sounds interesting :) but BB is not my style iPhone is

15. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i think the clickable screen is pretty cool, it stops your from accidentally selecting something you didnt want to.

16. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Is it just Haptic feedback? The Samsung instinct had a haptic feedback display that was pretty weak. After a while, the vibrating just got annoying. It didn't really feel like button presses anymore.

I had to laugh when the guy makes it sound like there's never been a touch screen before. "Holy Crap, there's no keyboard and it clicks when you touch it!"

I did notice toward the end the guy asks what genius is behind this and they pan up to the Verizon crowd.... Like Verizon actually ever created anything...

17. RL600 macrumors member

try typing really fast when you have to click each time. its impossible.

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

in the reviews i've read they've all seemed to like surepress. they said the clicks are fast and all you have to do is lift after each press. i dont see whats so hard about that. it just takes getting used to. just like we all did with the iphones keyboard.

19. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I love the crackberry idols who tell me the iPhone is nothing more than a childish toy or something a middle aged person has to get through a mid-life crisis :confused: our IT mobile mgr HATES HATES HATES the iPhone and can not stand it when executives want one. He tries everything he can to put the "project" on hold and make it go away because he doesn't see a use for an iPhone in the biz world. He is a total RIM nut and granted yeah I need one for work, I honestly don't like it compared to the iPhone.

20. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

aren't bb's more secure for business emails and the such? tell them to buy you a storm. haha

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It could have something to do with Sprint doing just that with their "Instinct(lol) vs iPhone" ad campaign, and coming out of it, looking like dorks.

22. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i just got my BOLD last week. yes they are secure and i admit they work very well for email and the such. my company WILL NOT be looking at the Storm until 2010 I was told. I don't know why. They are looking at the iPhone but again the company would rather stick to BB devices as that's how 80% of the company is set up. there are a select few that are issued iPhones but they are very specialized units (ad dept, marketing, corp comm) who don't even run off the same server as the rest...

23. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I saw a demo for the Storm, and I wasn't very amazed. Given, it looks like a cool phone, and I'd check it out if I was on Verizon and wasn't planning on getting an iPhone...but even the guy explaining the device used the phrase "...again, nothing unfamiliar to BlackBerry users, except that it's touchscreen" a hell of a lot. It doesn't make any difference if it's touchscreen, I don't see anything in this that is groundbreaking. Yet, it's been labelled an "iPhone killer," just like every other all-or-mostly-touchscreen phone that's come out since. Sprint said the same thing about the Instinct...Heh. I'd rather use my ancient Katana dumb-phone than that thing.

24. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

the keyboard rotates for emails and texts, ha

25. daisuke07 macrumors regular