iPhone 3G completely DEAD.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Navigator98, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Navigator98 macrumors newbie

Hi guys..

I have an iphone 3g with a broken sleep button.

I wanted to jb the device, so i used the "corrupt llb" technique... The phone seemed to be in DFU mode, so I tried to restore a custom firmware... without success, it gave me error code 1600 ...

After that, I ran iReb to put it in a pwned DFU mode... After iReb finished, iTunes lost connection from the phone... The screen still was completely black.... I rebooted my computer, tried different USB port, reinstalling iTunes, tried connecting the phone to another computer etc etc...

Maybe I just have to hold Power+Home? But that's impossible because the power button is broken...

And it will never boot because I intentionally corrupted iBoot to get a DFU loop and restore it with Custom FW...

What shall I do now? I'm clueless. I don't even know if it's on... I don't even know if it's in DFU... I don't know anything...

Should I maybe disassemble the phone (while i'm not sure it's still on or not) and try to lift the battery out and put it back in?? Would that help?? Well i'm out of solutions for now, so I really need you guys help!

Thanks alot!!!

-Navigator98

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Give it a try. The worst you could do is ruin it. :p

3. Navigator98 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It's impossible to ruin an iPhone through software, try restoring form DFU mode in iTunes without doing anything to do with jailbreaking. Don't disassemble the device it won't help.

5. Navigator98 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you read more clearly, you see the device won't even make a connection to iTunes, on any pc.. I even tried switching cables, but the screen stays black and nothing seems to happen.

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

So you thought jail breaking a phone with a broken power button was a smart idea? How did you plan on doing any tasks that required the use of that button?

7. Navigator98 thread starter macrumors newbie

I corrupted the LLB file in the IPSW so it went into a DFU loop. I planned on using activator for locking the phone.

8. icewing macrumors 6502

Aren't the battery contacts soldered?

9. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Toss it in the garbage, buy a cheap pre paid phone and wait for the next iPhone release. Honestly I find it hard to believe that there are still 3G's around. You should have upgraded ages ago.

10. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

You know some places had 3 year contracts when the 3G came out, right?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I wouldnt waste any money trying to repair an iphone 3G.
    Is old and slow as hell.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Not at all. :) The battery is held to the iPhone's chassis with a strong adhesive. The battery sits under the logic board and contacts touch on both pieces, creating the connection. The whole rig is held in place with a screw.

13. walie macrumors 6502a

one of the most ignorant comments i've heard from an apple user

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Come on, there are much worse comments on here than that. :D

OP, your best bet is to try selling it for parts and finally upgrade to the next iPhone in a month or so.. Either that or look for a replacement button on the web.

15. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

3G came out 3 years ago and he's due for an upgrade, what's your point? :rolleyes:

16. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

There are numerous ways and software that can help you boot into DFU mode, like RecBoot, try YouTubing it.

If nothing works, just buy a $0 smartphone or some prepaid phone and wait it out.

I've had my iPhone 3G since it first came out in '08. Although i have a 3 year contract, i was able to upgrade my hardware when the next iPhone was released, but..I didn't find the iPhone 3GS necessary to upgrade to, and neither was the iPhone 4. Until i downloaded iOS 4.0.. since then i've been waiting for the iPhone 5.

Specs wise, the iPhone 3G is JUST like the original iPhone, except it has a plastic back and 3G capabilities. I can't wait to get the iPhone 5, my iPhone 3G is on it's last leg, and it's been a blow to my productivity..god this upgrade will be sweet.

17. ~Ks383~, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

If you had read the part of your post that I quoted then you might understand my point.

I'll bold if for you since you didn't seem to notice the first time.

If he bought the phone three years ago (the 3G came out almost exactly three years ago, July 11, 2008 to be precise) and his contract is for three years then how could he have upgraded ages ago? Unless you consider a couple of weeks ages ago. :rolleyes:

18. iMacC2D, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017