iPhone 3G Contract Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayasinsk, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I currently have a plan through AT&T which expires this summer for an iPhone 2G. I saw that Apple is selling iPhones through their website store. If I buy one online through their store will my account be automatically updated to a 3G account or will it still have my EDGE data plan until I activate the purchased iPhone through iTunes?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

New iPhone 3G require a 2 year contract so yes you will changed to a 3G account if you order one from ATT.

3. ferrarienzolove macrumors newbie

iTunes will make you change your plan just like the original iPhone did.

4. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the responses. What I'm trying to ask however is once I buy the actual iPhone 3G from the Apple's website and have it shipped to me, does apple contact ATT automatically and lets them know that I have purchased an iPhone 3G so ATT in it's turn updates my account for another 2 years with $70 a month, or does my contract update takes place when I activate the iPhone through iTunes. In other words my package arrives and I open it, at that point do I still have EDGE data plan or 3G data plan?

Thanks.

5. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

apple doesnt ship iphones from their website. the 'Buy iPhone 3G' link on their page just sets up your AT&T account (or new account if ure transfering) so you can easily finish the setup at the store. no shipment is done when you finish on the website