iPhone 3G "Could Not Activate Cellular Data"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hudsonnkh, Jun 25, 2012.

1. hudsonnkh macrumors newbie

My friend just gave me his old iPhone 3G to replace my Palm Pixi (AT&T). After putting the SIM in the iPhone, calling and texting work, but trying to use data in Safari, the App Store, etc, I get a message that says "Could Not Activate Cellular Data..." and that I don't have a data plan. Thing is, I did have a plan with the Palm phone, it was a 200mb/month deal.

The Wifi also doesn't work on the iPhone, it can't find any networks.

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

About the wifi most likely its a hardware fault.
    About getting carrier data you will have to switch to an iphone data plan probably. The palm plan might not be compatible with the iphone.

3. hudsonnkh thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way you know of to fix the wifi issue?

4. skookie5 macrumors newbie

Yeah alot of times the SIM cards don't work between phones (though they should). I had the sane problem but a trip to the apple store fixed it :)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wifi problems are usually hardware problems. Not something you can fix with software but you can always try a restore anyway.
    You might have to replace the wifi chip inside the phone or bring it to a repair shot to do it.

6. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

Exactly this right answer. How Palm Plan can be compatible with iPhone Plan? I think you needs to buy new plan for your iPhone.