Iphone 3g cracked screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnnyi, Jul 14, 2009.

1. johnnyi macrumors regular

I dropped my phone last week while obviously not drunk, Well the screen cracked and I am looking at a repair for it.I have found this company called ukipodrepairs.co.uk and they will charge £68.99 to repair the screen and fit it and send it back to me within 24-48hours. Does anyone know any other companies I could consider for the repair.

Regards
    Jonathan

Attached Files:

2. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I would make a genius appointment if you're still under warranty... you might get lucky and get a replacement...

it really depends on the genius just tell them straight up what happened.. a friend of mine dropped his and the screen broke just like yours.. he made an appointment and got a lecture from the genius but they replaced it for free.... so you might get lucky!

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're kidding! Really?? For something that is accidental? I'm not being sarcastic; I'm just surprised they would do that after reading all the stories on here.

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Accidental damage isn't covered under the warranty. McManus is telling you if a genius is having a good day or particularly likes you or something...they may break the rules for you. It is not the norm...and very much against Apple's warranty.

5. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

Their has been a new problem with my phone now!.It ran out of battery and I plugged it into my computer and it started to charge the problem is now it is stuck on the apple display screen.I am still within my years guarantee would apple charge to replace the phone ?

6. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

In no way am I saying that you will get a replacement 100% but I'm saying it is worth a try...

Others have reported that they've gotten their iPhones replaced for dropping and cracking the screen and I was using my friend as an example of an individual who dropped their iPhone cracked the screen and got a replacement...

However if they will not replace it for the screen then they will not replace it now that it won't operate properly... if it's deemed to be accidental damage then the warranty is supposed to be void...

7. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

i seemed to have fixed the software on the phone just the issue with the cracked screen.You say I should go in and ask about a replacement what do i say to the guy ?

8. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Just go in and tell them that you accidentally dropped the phone and they should inform you about what the replacement options are.. or if you are lucky they may replace it for you free of charge.. (I'm not 100% sure if they offer out-of-warranty replacements in the UK but I know in the US and in Canada you can purchase a out-of-warranty replacements)

it REALLY depends on the store and the genius... some stores/genius's are REALLY up tight about EVERYTHING... some are more easy going... and are more lenient..

9. RSW macrumors member

RSW

Great info! My wife just dropped hers yesterday and I will make an appointment with my local apple store and see what they say. If they won't fix it, I found a couple of places online that have DIY kits.... its either that, or I buy her a new phone.

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

If they won't do anything for you and you don't want to "fix" it yourself put it in water and get a replacement for $200... $213 with tax to be spot on.

11. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Incidentally I saw a screen similar to that yesterday when I was at the Apple store getting my 3GS replaced for a GPS issue. The lady that had it complained that a phone should last a year if they have to pay $200 for it. I was tempted to tell her she bought a $600-$700 phone that she treated like a $200 phone. Clearly she didn't care enough about the phone to treat it like the expensive piece of hardware that it is.

(no I'm not saying you treated it in a similar way...just sharing an anecdote)

12. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

£60~ sounds alittle fishy for that with expedient repairs and shipping. Try Apple first.

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

No need for water, the Out of Warranty service covers broken screens as well as "liquid" damage as of May.

Dave

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

Sweet, didn't know that thanks.

15. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

I dropped my brand new 3gs the other day and it cracked. not as bad as yours though. i posted a thread and got several comments (some not so very helpful) and the best advice was to just go to an apple store and try your luck. i was lucky to get a brand new phone without being given a hard time. i just got told to be careful (which i am) but accidents will happen. good luck buddy!