iPhone 3g creaks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tokiidokii, Jul 15, 2008.

1. tokiidokii macrumors regular

so i finally got an iphone and i'm really loving it!

the problem is, i was testing just how solid the phone is and i think i might have squeezed the sides a little hard [squeezing as in from the left and right side, inwards toward the middle of the screen] and i heard it 'creak'. so then i press down on the back and i heard more creaks.

i guess i'm just paranoid or maybe i expected too much from plastic + metal construction but now that i've found the sweet spot, i can't help but squeeze from time to time.

i kinda want to exchange it [there are other problems too, such as random rebooting, ring tones/alert dropping, rebooting when pressing top button to bring the lock screen up to unlock, etc.]. i know those sound like fw problems and it's very very random so i might just wait anyway.

but yea... anyone else as paranoid as me? lol

2. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Same noise on mine - its on the side for me though, certainly the plastic.

3. elbirth macrumors 65816

my phone doesn't creak at all and in fact feels incredibly solid. the only part that even "gives" a little is the very middle of the back, and that's only when I use a firm amount of force. in normal use, it doesn't make any creaking noise at all

4. tokiidokii thread starter macrumors regular

yea no doubt. in normal use, the phone is incredibly solid so i have no complaints. and the amount of force i used to test the 'creak' thing was definitely not the same amount of force i use to hold the phone.

the back also slightly depresses when you apply enough pressure but that's just the plastic. anyway, just worried that the creaking might get worst later but i guess i'll worry about it when the time comes lol.

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

I'd say if you'd leave well enough alone and not apply undue pressure on it, it'll be fine and you won't go causing issues later by stressing it so much ;)