Iphone 3G Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by index1489, Jun 24, 2009.

1. index1489 macrumors member

One of the lines on my family plan is due for an upgrade, I plan on using that upgrade discount ordering the iphone 3g then switching it over to my line, my question is that is it possible for you to stop paying for a data plan (lets say you lose or break your iphone) and want to return to a normal phone will you still have to pay 30 a month for 2 years.
    (I don't see why not, ATT gets it subsidy from its voice plans right? not data I would think they would be more concered with people using a cheaper data plan for the iphone then NO plan and NO data.)

My second question is would it be possible to use the iphone 3g without a data plan, could I activate my iphone, use the first month of service with data, pay the 30 bucks, then switch my sim to a dummy phone call ATT tell them to cancel my iphone data plan, add a data block, then pop my SIM back into my iphone and use it without data wifi only.

Thanks
    Sorry if these questions have been asked time and time before, all my searching has come up with old/conflicting answers.
    I just want to make sure because when Im going through the iphone order on the ATT website and I read this

Thanks Hardcore Blackberry lover.

Data Plan is required for all iPhone purchases. Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future.

2. iphonepro101 macrumors newbie

they will know u r using the iPhone by the IMEI number.

go to your account on att website....you can see they got the correct phone model on each line. have you ever wondered how they know that?

3. index1489 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but will they remove the data block and add the Iphone data plan?

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

No not yet but they can and the contract your agree to allows them to require an iPhone data plan for any line that has an iPhone.

Right now they are still auditing for customers that are using an invalid data plan, $10 and $15 data plans.

Dave

5. index1489 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks dave, so for sure, at any time I can stop using the iphone sell it on ebay whatever, I would just have to pay/use one month of data then I could cancel it, and right now its a grey area using the iphone 3g without a data plan.

6. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

If you get rid of the iPhone you can cancel the data plan. Using the iPhone without a data plan is a black NO GO area. You must have an iPhone data plan to use the iPhone on AT&T. No ifs ands or buts, if AT&T catches you using an iPhone without a data plan they can and usually will automatically and retro-actively turn on the iPhone data. Even without contacting you, it's in the contract you signed with AT&T to get the iPhone.

Anytime you turn the iPhone on, it contacts the carrier and reports who and what it is. Any phone does that now.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

You don't even need to wait a month to drop the iPhone data plan. You just need to provide the IMEI of another GSM phone to replace the IMEI of your iPhone that you don't seem to want to use to it's fullest. You just can't cancel the phone service for 30 days without returning the iPhone but you can drop any and all featers at anytime after you complete the activation.

There are no "Black Helecopters" waiting to catch you, but the rules are there for a reason. There are thousands of customers that are lying to Customer Care all the time about how they lost or stopped using thier iPhone and now they want to drop the iPhone data plan.

Just to be clear the DER system has your current phone that is active on the cell network and the Care Rep can see if you are calling from the iPhone to drop the iPhone data plan. So folks, you really do seem stupid when you say you lost it or gave it to your wife / girlfriend and you are using it to call Customer Care.

Dave

8. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

yes you can do all those things. you dont have to have the data plan

9. djrobx macrumors member

Thanks to UPS losing my iPhone and Apple taking their dear sweet time to refund my money and clear out my upgrade, today I went ahead and purchased a 3GS at an Apple Store on my family plan on a line that will not be using data.

I expected a bit of a fight - I thought AT&T would try and insist on me keeping the data plan. I mean, they're not exactly going to make their big subsidy back on that $9.99/month line. But they did so with no questions asked.

TIP: You must activate the iPhone on the line you purchased it for first. Do not try to swap SIMs first. Then put the activated SIM into the non-iPhone you want to use and turn it on for a while before calling AT&T to pull the data plan off of it. Otherwise you will need to read off the IMEI.

10. index1489 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks see what I mean about conflicting reports, I guess you never know until you try it!

11. Apollo1234 macrumors newbie

I've heard lots of people say that AT&T can tell you're using and IPhone and will automatically add the data plan. But I can't find one person where this actually happened. I too am looking to adding a used 3G to my service by putting in a new SIM and activating through ITunes through my wifi. I'm not sure what will happen. I've heard that before you add the Iphone, call AT&T and tell them to put a block on your data.