iPhone 3G Data Usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnator, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hey everyone.

I would like to know how much data you guys who have iPhones use a month. I live in Canada and Rogers doesn't offer unlimited data plans.

I would use the iPhone to go on Facebook, Instant Messaging (MSN), Check the weather a few times a day, Few emails, No streaming Radio, Twitter App, Yahoo News App, Maps maybe, App Store, iTunes Store. Safari a bit too. Probably no Youtube. Basically just Applications that use data.

Would 500MB/$25 or 1GB/$30 be enough data per month, and be able to do all that without watching my usage? There is also a 3GB/$60, but thats probably to expensive for me.

So if anyone does similar to what I would do, how much data do you use?

Thanks, it is really appreciated!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What are the prices? That can better help us recommend an amount of data. :)

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

500 megs will probably be more than enough. 1 gig is way more than enough.

I have the 6 gig plan they (Fido) offered at launch, and I barely use more than 200 megs a month.

4. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea. Silly me. I updated my post with the prices.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If it is only 5 dollars more, I would go for the 1 GB just to be safe.

6. aG1 macrumors member

500MB is a good amount, but for $5 more why not double up to be safe?

7. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I would most likely go for the 1GB/$30. From what I've read online in many places 1GB should be more than enough.

I still want to hear from other people on here though.

I'm assuming that Streaming Internet Radio is the big data hog, I won't ever be doing that so if I don't do that I should be safe? Does youtube use lots of data too, or is it not a lot since the quality is much less over 3G?

Thanks.

8. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Make sure to factor in availability and use of wifi. I used my iPhone tons but my bandwidth usage was always low because I was either at home, work, or school most of the time.

9. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

I have WiFi at home, there is WiFi at my highschool, but it requires a password. Those two places, along with other places that might have WiFi. But there are times when I'm not near WiFi like going up to my cottage, I probably won't get a signal at the actual cottage but in the city I will.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I usually use around 100-300 MB/month. However, there have been times when I got over 500 MB/month. This tends to happen when I go on vacation and can't use my notebook to surf. When that happens, I rely heavily on my iPhone and usage goes through the roof--and I'm not even tethering.
    Unless you hate traveling, there will be times when you'll be surfing heavily on your iPhone. Get the 1 GB/month plan. Overage charges are not attractive.

11. Almy macrumors 6502

I think you'll be more than covered by the 1G plan. I use my iPhone a TON, it's my only internet device. From browsing and posting on forums, streaming pandora, news, et cetera...well you name it. And the most I've used in a month since buying it in august is 3gigs.

12. cap'njack macrumors member

I use my iPhone for exactly what your described in your OP. The most I've ever used is 250mb (although since downloading Wunder Radio I've used 33mb in half a day :eek:)

That's even with playing some online games occasionaly. If you have Wifi where you live then your usage will generally be low.

I'd recommend the 1gb just to be safe, possibly downgrade if you regulary aren't going any where close to 500mb.

Luckily here in the UK we get unlimited data plans with the iPhone.

13. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I'm a rather heavy user of the iPhone 3G. I will need to charge my iPhone at least once a day in between my surfing / iPod / email needs. And I still can't exhaust my 1Gig data plan. At best, I can only utilize 700 -800 MB / mth.

14. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I have never used more then 1GB of data in one month. With moderate use, I can easily stay under 500mb.

15. View macrumors regular

I'd go w/ 1GB. I usually use around 600 - 700MB a month.

16. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

If I get an iphone, I do plan to play some online games, e.g. poker, uno, etc. I imagine games don't use that much data..rite?

17. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else have any input on your data usage? Thanks!