iPhone 3G Dead

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ross1308, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Ross1308 macrumors member

So i was just out in the pooring rain and i had my waterproof clothing on, and my iPhone was in the front pocket of my waterproof jacket, i got home to find my iPhone looked like it had been left out on the wall in the rain, so i dried it off and let it sit because this had happened to my old iPhone loads of times so i went to go on my iPhone just now and the screen was very very dim and a message came up saying The device is not compatible with this iPhone then the screen started to flicker on and off with the message still there i unlocked it just with what i could see of it then i thought this is stupid, i then turned it off and it will now not turn back on, So i plugged it into charge still nothing, i then plugged it into my MacBook, and iTunes came up saying the phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored and updated so i did that and after it downloaded the update and said some message with (21) like that at the end of the message. :(

If this is water damaged will apple/02 repair it for free ? or will i have to pay also i put it on the radiator just then and it reached a nice warm temperature so i took it off and ill let it settle until the morning,

If i ring apple tomorrow should i tell them the truth or tell them a lie and say the screen started going dim and the phone went off and now wont turn back on.

HELP GUYS :(

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

The iPhone has water sensors inside thAt will tell if there's water been inside it.

You'll either have to pay a repair fee, or buy a new phone altogether

3. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

4. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

In all honesty, it's your fault it's dead. Why should they be expected to fix or replace it for free?

5. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

I know its my fault, and i didnt say it wasnt my fault, i was just asking the question because apple are usually pretty friendly with repairs and stuff, Will see if it turns on in the morning, is there anything i can do in the meantime to it ?

6. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

Well for some reason i decided to sit on my iPhone to make it warm (which it did) so after 10 minutes i tried turning it on and pressing lots of combinations of buttons, i now plugged it into my mac and i am in the middle of restoring it, but there is one problem the little sensor by the speaker is red :S what is this ?

7. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

So i just spoke to apple/02 loads of people and apple said noway would they repair it even if i paid £1000 and said no doubt about it, it will eventually fail, and 02 Said the same and my only option was to buy a new one for £349 or pay the contract off which is somthing like £650, what 02 told me was that ive only had my iPhone for 20 days and you have 28 days to take insurance out, if i had took the insurance out now and then rang them i would of got it replaced for free :mad: IT SEEMS LIKE IVE HAD IT FOR MONTHS FFS, so now my only hope is home insurance
    Wish me luck.

8. gilbert1020 macrumors regular

gilbert1020

Since it was your fault that it was left in the rain
    Apple warranty does not cover that... Sorry

9. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a