iPhone 3G Defaulted to EDGE With Worse Battery Than Original

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bush438, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Bush438 macrumors member

So I've been twinkering around with my new iPhone 3G for the past few days especially when it comes to battery life. I have shut off the bluetooth and wifi and currently have Push off with e-mail check every hour.

At the Keynote Jobs said that talk time on EDGE with the new iPhone would be 10 hrs as opposed to just over 5 on 3G. Therefore meaning that the battery on the 3G is more efficient (or larger) than the original iPhone. Yet today, I disabled 3G from the time I took my phone off the charger and the phone STILL didn't last anywhere near as long as my original iPhone did. It seemed as if it didn't make a difference having 3G turned off. This is with normal battery use just as I ran on my original iPhone.

What gives?

Anyone else notice?

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Same problem here. I'm giving Apple a couple more weeks to come out with a fix (2.0.1) for this problem. I'm pretty convinced that it's not the battery rather the software. As you said, battery life is supposed to be better than the original iPhone (with 3G, Location, etc. turned off) yet it is worse. I can't imagine that Apple would have exaggerated the battery life claims that much.

I think a fix is on the way. If not...back to my trusty old 4GB iPhone.

3. chris3g macrumors member

i've now read from 2 sources that the battery in the 3g is 1150mah vs 1400mah in the original. If true, that seems like a very odd decision from apple :confused:

4. Bush438 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that just boggles me. But where would his claim of 10hrs talk time on EDGE come from? There would have to be some massive efficiency from some other area to offset the smaller battery.

Either way, me turning off 3G and having EDGE on exclusively did absolutely nothing to improve battery life.