iphone 3g defaults to edge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk8er, Jul 15, 2008.

1. sk8er macrumors newbie

the problem is whenever the iphone comes awake from the power saving mode (i.e. while it is in my pocket and I pull it out to use it), it is always in EDGE network and I have to manually go to settings to toggle 3g (switching it off and then on ) so it actually looks for 3g and then it finds it.

Was wondering if I dont have to do this toggling business and it should go to 3g as the first preference when someone is using it.

2. elbirth macrumors 65816

how long do you wait before manually toggling it? I noticed that mine shows as being on edge when I pull it out of my pocket and wake it up as well, but if I wait maybe 5-10 seconds, it'll hop on the 3G network without any input from me

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The iPhone should favor a 3G signal whenever it detects one. There is however, a setting on AT&T accounts that will prevent that from happening if it's not enabled.

When you get a chance, log into your AT&T account online, and check your "Rate Plan and Features" section. In the "View Rate Plan & Feature Detail" area, that lists every add on and feature, there should be a line that looks like this:

[​IMG]

"UMTS Auto Attach" is what tells the network that you have a 3G phone and your SIM/handset should be giving 3G priority over EDGE.

If it's not there, you need to call up customer care and make sure it's on.

4. sk8er thread starter macrumors newbie

I had to call them to see the feature list because I cant see it on my at&t account on the internet like you had mentioned . They dont have that feature. They have a similar feature called "UMTS compatible". Besides, they cant even trouble shoot it. Any other suggestions ?