iPhone 3G : Designed AND Made in California?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techdude13, Oct 24, 2008.

1. techdude13 macrumors 6502

Well, I have gone through 5 phones already between the Apple Retail Store and direct-from-factory "customer" replacements. These replacements have all had a problem in some form or another and it has really perturbed me.

Well now Apple is replacing my phone again, and this time they included $165 worth of free stuff of my choice, too. So that appeased to me, however I noticed something strange.

The last customer replacement (direct from factory) replacement I got, came directly from Apple in Shenzhen, CN. Now with my tracking number however, it is: RANCHO CORDOVA, CA 95670 US . So, curious as to if I was receiving an iPhone 3G from wayyyyyy old stock (the serial number on the invoice reads: 86826******. So, I called AppleCare in search of some answers. After giving the nice lady my case number and everything, she said "No, it didn't come from a warehouse. We actually have a factory in that region that produces iPhone, in addition to the one in China." I reacted with surprise, as I had known that there was a warehouse in Cali, as well as a factory for MBPs and Macs, but iPhones?

Surprisingly, she said that it was a new phone, and that it was manufactured right there in California. I had never known this before, and it is kind of funny. As well, the prediction of the 10 millionth iPhone Sale: <http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pUwZATIrXuTeCVdJHkQY1Zg>
    From this information, it says (and corresponds with the serial#) that my phone was made back in June. If this is true, could Apple just be sending my a phone from a big warehouse, or a refurbished phone? Well, it is impossible to say, but the latter is almost legally impossible because I signed a document stating that a brand-new phone would be sent and blah blah blah.

But what do you think about this? Did you know? As well, have you had to go through many phones to get one that worked or looked okay?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I can assure you there is no Apple factory in CA. It probably a place where they do refurbs.

3. techdude13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well then AppleCare is a bunch of liars. :( I hate to have to say that, but technically they are NOT supposed to send me a refurb, because of the terms of my signed agreement with them stating they will send me a brand new replacement product. So almost impossible.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Apple has a warehouse/distribution center in Rancho Cordova.

When I had to send my MacBook to Cupertino, they sent my factory-sealed replacement from there. It wasn't refurbished.

5. techdude13 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I know. I honestly believe that it will be new, because I signed that document, like I said, and I mean I trust Apple to send me a good product ESPECIALLY after all of the problems I have had so far.

I was basing my last answer on the comment made prior :) Not how I actually felt...

John

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

As I understand it the iPhone is ASSEMBLED in China. Parts could come from elsewhere.

7. techdude13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well in this case we are talking, made, like assembled. In other words, when a phone is consider "shipped from warehouse," it means that the phone has previously been assembled and then stored at the warehouse. When we say "made in California," we mean that the phone is being assembled and tested in California. Not in China, like they usually are.

I will have to wait until Monday to hear back from my AppleCare Corporate Customer Liaison about this....

John

8. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Please keep us posted...I'm actually curious about this now.

9. techdude13 thread starter macrumors 6502

I plan on it :D

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wish they'd starting making all of their stuff in the U.S., or at least countries other than China. With Apple being one of the few companies on solid financial ground, it would be an awesome statement for them to bring some jobs to the U.S.

I don't want to get too political, but I just wish more of our stuff was made here. We are such a huge part of the world's economy, but yet we send so many manufacturing jobs elsewhere. I'm not a big Ford or GM fan, but it makes me kind of sick when they start building their cars elsewhere, especially GM with their "An American Revolution" commercials.

When China can stop effin' up everything they make and start treating their people better (what kind of country kills 500,000 dogs???), then maybe I would consider them a good trade partner. Until them, find better people to make our stuff.

/soap box
    /rant

11. yode macrumors 6502

In the business world, all that matters is money. And china = cheap labor. which equals more money for apple.

12. goodcow macrumors 6502a

If you want the MacBook Pro to start at $3000 instead of $2000 when factoring in American labor costs (and healthcare), sure, let's make things in America.

13. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

you can blame expensive labor on labor unions, exactly why US auto prices are higher, every few years the union goes on strike demanding more money, so they can live like rockstars and produce cars that are on par or perhaps slightly inferior to foreign autos

14. techdude13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, lol. I go out for the night and I come back to a political debate! Not a problem, I figured this would spark the cheap labor comments anyways....

Good points on both ends, but still tantalizing to think that the iPhone I am about to receive is qoute, " From the Factory in California, not a warehouse." -AppleCare Rep.

So we will surely see.... maybe theres a note from Steve ;) :apple:

TechDude

15. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Comedy. Unintentional prob. but still. Laugh out loud fantasy-based comedy.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

17. daisuke07 macrumors regular

Lol, nope.

18. techdude13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

This is way late, but I am still exchanging phones. It turns out that Apple is SUPPOSED to ship iPhone 3G Customer Replacements (Replacements in Retail Packaging, but you ahve to sign legal documents to get them. It is easy, they just email you the sheet, you sign it and fax/mail it back, and your replacement is on the way). from Elk Grove, CA. Their old G4 and Mac factory is there. They still ahve some operations occuring, one of which is distribution of replacements for iPhone 3Gs.

John

19. kzg macrumors member

There certainly is an Apple factory in CA. My Mac Pro was made in the USA. Same with some early Mac Mini's. Now the iPhone... definitely made in China though.

20. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Did you ever get an iPhone you were happy with?

21. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

fixed.