iPhone 3G DFU Loop

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dweezle3, May 12, 2011.

1. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Hello all,

(bear with me, it's a long story but I wanted to provide as much information as I could as I have no idea what the problem is)

I have an iPhone 3G that was running 3.1.3 a few days ago (I downgraded from 4.2 because I couldn't stand how slow it was). Anyways, I was having some trouble booting my phone up (usually had to press and hold the power button a few times to get it to boot), so backed up my phone and after restoring back to 3.1.3, I decided to restore my old back up. This is where it died :( At the end of the restore I waited for my phone to reboot. It didn't. After trying a few times to reboot it manually, I could only get to recovery mode. Naturally I tried the usual tools to kick it out (blackra1n, tinyumbrella, iRecovery, iREB), all with no luck. I left it overnight, hoping it would work in the morning as I had often had more luck booting my phone after trying once, waiting a few minutes and then trying once more. So the next day I tried booting, only to find it sometimes booted to DFU mode, sometimes to the White Screen of Death, and sometimes to normal recovery mode. Gradually, it got worse and finally would only reach DFU mode. I've tried to restore to both 3.1.3 and 4.0 (both of which I have used successfully before), both of which resulted in "Error 37". I googled this a bit, and (from what I could find) decided it was an error with my hosts file (it's a bit messed up at the moment :eek:). So I tried restoring on another computer, and only seemed to get "Error 6" every time. Same thing on the third one (all three running OS X). I found a thread online saying that a DFU loop could be fixed by removing the logic board from the battery for a while to reset the memory. So I tried that, and after putting the phone back together still got the same error 6. I tried again the next day and now iTunes won't even finish the restore, it gets almost all the way through and is stuck on a loading striped "Restoring iPhone Software" bar. It seems to just be getting worse everyday by itself :(

So in summary (congrats if you're still reading by the way!):
    -The phone was stuck in recovery mode after a failed restore to a backup of 3.1.3
    -The next day it was stuck in a DFU loop, only failing to restore with an "Error 6"
    - Now it won't even show an apple logo anymore when I hold the home+power buttons and won't finish restoring.

PS: I'm fairly experienced with iPhone jailbreaking/terminology etc, (just never encountered anything like this), so please don't feel any need to explain to much, general suggestions from anyone who's had a problem like this before (no one else on the internet seems to have)....

Thank you in advance for any help! This is the only phone I have, so anything I can do to restore/unbrick this as quickly as possible is greatly appreciated!

2. dweezle3 thread starter macrumors regular

dweezle3

3. nelly41 macrumors regular

I think this belongs in the iphone hacks. I have the same problem as you and also with a 3G. Its stuck on DFU mode since March! And I tried EVERYTHING to fix it and I mean EVERYTHING! From what Applejuiced told me, I'm SOL and there's no way out of it. Hope you have better luck than me.

4. dweezle3 thread starter macrumors regular

dweezle3

Well, from looking around at other sites, it seems I've done everything I can for it. I disconnected the logic board again for a while and then put it all back together to try and restore again hoping for a miracle. It still gets mostly done with restoring until right at the end where it has a striped loading bar in iTunes and says "Restoring iPhone Software". I've had this before, but can't remember how I fixed it. Anyone else had this problem?

5. umeshgaire, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

umeshgaire macrumors newbie

Solved Error 14, 21 restoring iPhone 4.3.2, 4.3.3

Don't worry friend I was also suffered with that problem Now I am free.. You can just Read Here

And To remove error 14 and 21 Read Here

6. dweezle3 thread starter macrumors regular

dweezle3

Thank you! Those look promising! Now to find a computer that can run windows...