iPhone 3G Digitizer (connector #2)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ikbeneland, May 31, 2011.

1. ikbeneland macrumors newbie

Hi folks,new on the forum here, but I have googled this problem for quite some time now and didn't come up with the info I'd like to see so I figured I'd post on these forums.
    First I cracked my iPhone screen, and seeing as I had already performed some 'elektronical' repairs, I figured I replace the screen myself. This went pretty well, but after turning on my iPhone again, I noticed that the far right (from the 4th row of apps to the side) of the touchscreen didnt respond!
    I already tried connecting it again (several times) and cleaning it. I contacted the seller and he told me his part was fine and my iPhone connector (#2) was the problem ;o
    What do you guys think about this? And if it is my iPhone connector, is it possible to replace/ fix it?

2. MagicalWhiffle macrumors newbie

ikbeneland,

[it's been a month but maybe you're still looking]

Connector #2 is probably what's up. That connection transmits touch info to the logic board, so dead space and unreactive portions of the screen can be traced to that connector when software fixes fail.

The general advice for this problem:

1. Try software fixes first. Hard reset of phone, restore from backup, etc., just to be sure that it's a hardware issue.

2. If you're still under warranty, it's worth bringing it to an Apple store and having them fix it or replace the phone. Be warned, if they suspect that you've dabbled with your iPhone they may cut you loose.

3. If you're not under warranty, there are some fixes for Connector 2.
    a. If connector 2 looks like it's in okay condition with no visible bends or burns, you may want to try rewiggling the ribbon into place and rechecking for functionality. Sometimes a lack of touch capacity is just a matter of the ribbon not being affixed correctly to the connector.
    b. If that doesn't work or the connector is otherwise burned or damaged and if you want to fix it yourself, you may want to practice your soldering skills because it's a difficult solder job. The part goes for only about $6 on eBay. Removal is easy, but for installation you'll need a fine-tipped iron and some patience. You won't need a great deal of soldering experience, but it might not be a first-timer's project.
    c. You can also send your phone away specifically for connector 2 repair. DO NOT pay more than $50 for this repair. There are tech repair people out there who are all too willing to take excessive money for what is not more than 10 minutes of work. Just search eBay for 'connector 2 repair' and you'll find at least a few people who do the repair for $35.

Let me know if you need help with option b.

3. mayflower macrumors member

You just replaced the lcd,are you sure the touch screen can still work perfectly? if not, the touch screen should be replaced, too.

4. MagicalWhiffle macrumors newbie

I'm going to guess that it was the digitizer glass that broke, not the LCD. It may be possible, but I haven't heard of any cases where the LCD cracked but not the digitizer. That being so, ikbeneland very likely has already replaced the digitizer {the outer glass, touch screen} unit.

5. mayflower macrumors member

6. MagicalWhiffle macrumors newbie

Great! Then we agree. And ikbeneland probably replaced that first, so it is now a "known good" item.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Actually, I once bought a 3Gs that was run over by a car. The LCD was corrupt from the pressure but somehow the digitizer was intact (and immaculate :eek:)and was actually used in another repair. :)

8. MagicalWhiffle macrumors newbie

haha, I figured something like that had to have happened somewhere, however unlikely. I thought it would involve a microwave, though.

9. david1steven macrumors newbie

david1steven

Interesting post. I think the digitizer will get defected soon because of touch screen. Keep updating.