iPhone 3G: Display Washed Out White- Please Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by legaleye3000, Jan 28, 2010.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Just a couple days ago, my iPhone 3G will become a really washed out white. You can still use it and see the icons, but barely...

I know this happens if the phone is in the sun and is really hot, but I'm at my home and it happened...

Any ideas? Thanks

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

try to shake it and bump it slightly and see if it corrects itself even for a short time. I had one buy bring one to me and he had the same problem. the connector for the lcd was lose from being dropped. I reconnected it and it has been fine ever since.

3. iwillrefuse macrumors newbie

Any idea if there's a connector for the speaker as well, or if it is hard-wired? My speaker goes in and out quite often, and this would appear to be a likely culprit...

4. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Yes there is a connector for the speaker. The screen being washed out means one of the pins on connector 1 is not making contact - by experiment it is the one far right top looking at it head on.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Its not always washed out white.. Its once in a while for a few minutes, then it goes back to normal. Hmmm

6. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Dodgy connector or problem with de-serializer on LCD or LCD itself. If a reseat of connector 1 doesn't fix then a new LCD is required.

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there a good guide on how to reseat connector 1? Thanks

8. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

The ifixit guides are good and will show you how to take the phone apart. Don't know if they show specifically how to reseat a connector but the pictures they show are great. Advice is if you aren't good technically then don't attempt but if you have the technical gene then may be worth a go.

9. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Now it seems to be all white washed most of the time... Any where for a guide on how to reseat connector 1? If not, should I get just the LCD? I don't need the digitizer, right? (Besides being really white, I can use it just fine and it responds to touch fine too)

Thanks