iPhone 3G Dock Best Buy-Apple Retail Price Match?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sg.hill, Dec 5, 2008.

1. sg.hill macrumors member

Greetings!

I'm thinking about getting a dock for my 3G. Naturally I'm looking around to see who has the lowest price. There is a lot of counterfeit-sounding merchandise on eBay, making it seem like Apple has the lowest price at $29.00 (here). I have $15 in coupons for Best Buy though, and they list the 3G Dock for $34.99 (here). So will Best Buy price match Apple's $29?

For what it's worth, I know they price match brick & mortar competitors but not online competitors. Apple is a bit different in that they're both, but the only evidence I can present is online. Any response is appreciated.

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

If you have a local Apple store your chances are pretty good, if not its gonna be hit or miss (likely miss).

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

i mean really its only going to save you $5. Not worth too much hassle IMO. Might try going into a best buy and asking them to price match. If you have an apple store in your town I bet they would.

4. allurbase macrumors member

5. sg.hill thread starter macrumors member

Update in case anyone is interested. I went to my local Best Buy, which is about 4 miles from an Apple store and the manager I spoke with said it shouldn't be a problem for price matching as long as there is a local Apple. I don't know what constitutes local; sounds like it is up to the manager. It was, however, a problem to find the six 3G Docks that were supposedly in stock. We ended up determining that six original iPhone docks were mis-received as the new ones...and then the employee trying to sell me one of the old ones.

I'm moving to Chicago next week, where I assume I'll be able to get a price match also. They'll hopefully have the docks in stock there. The moral of the story is this: Best Buy will price match Apple if you have a "local" Apple retail store.

6. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i had the same problem, i got one of those as a gift and it even said 3G on the receipt, and it was the original dock

7. sg.hill thread starter macrumors member

Were you able to return it?