Iphone 3g doesn't connect 3g and has bad signal

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by harryden, Sep 28, 2010.

1. harryden macrumors newbie

My iphone is currently on 4.02 unlocked with redsn0w and then unlocked with ultrasn0w. My phone won't connect to 3g, it hasnt once in a month of having it although it does very ocassional connect to edge.

I put in my sisters simcard and it only connect to edge so it seems my phone cant connect to 3g.
    I also have problem recieving texts - sometimes they dont come through until the next time i send a text.
    I dont know what to do, its awful atm and i need to fix it!! Please help me!
    Oh and yes, 3g is enabled in the setting, and ive tried resetting network settings

I was considering either updating to 4.1 - but then apparently you can't unlock your phone then?
    Or pressing the restore button on itunes - what happens?
    Or doing the redsnow jailbreaking thing again?
    i would take it into the apple genius but it's jailbroken because i need it unlocked :/

2. harryden thread starter macrumors newbie

Will an apple genius not look at my phone if its jailbroken? Is it not possible to unlock without jailbreaking?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you trying to use it on tmobile by any chance?
    Cause you will not be able to use 3G then, just edge.
    And dont update to official 4.1 or you wont be able to unlock it.

4. harryden thread starter macrumors newbie

No, ive heard about that problem but im actually on orange. Okay won't update till the jailbreak and unlock is released. Is there anyway i can reinstall 4.01?

Don't know if its related, but i'm having problem, i cant connect to my wifi. Arghh damned iphone!

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see.
    Open up cydia and look at the top of the page to see for what firmware versions you have shsh's saved for.
    If it lists 4.0.1 you can reinstall that and jb it again. If not you're sol.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Just out of interest, is there 3G with Orange in the area?

I know where I am now Orange doesn't have 3G yet, which is why mine never connects to 3G.

7. harryden thread starter macrumors newbie

I presume so. On the orange signal checker http://search.orange.co.uk/ouk/portal/coveragechecker.html?channel=direct/
    Im supposedly 'very good' although in the house its only one or two bars. But ive been out to cities receantly and havnt obtained 3G. Edge sometimes but usually disapear before i get to use it!

8. harryden thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant get cydia upp atm as iphones decided not to connect to the wifi. Ill try and sort it out then try that

9. harryden thread starter macrumors newbie

Any ideas? Definetly connects to edge but not 3G :confused:

10. harryden thread starter macrumors newbie

Whenever i loose signal, when it returns the message 'could not activate the cellular data network' appears :confused: Could this mean it cant connect to 3g?