Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Munich, Germany
Hi Everyone,

First of all i realise that theres most likely 100ths of threads out there, but i have really tried to make an effort to find one that answered my questions, however without luck.

Anyway, thing is i upgraded my still lovely iPhone 3G to iOS4 hoping that it would give my phone new life... it didnt. Its slower, battery is crap ect ect, and the small software upgrades far from makes up for it. So... Now i want to downgrade, and since there is a ton of guides all over the web that shouldnt be a problem. However, i have no interest in jailbreaking my Phone, i just normal iOS 3.1.3. And the guides and tips ive read all seem to be related to jailbreaking.

So... Is it possible to downgrade your iPhone 3G running iOS4 to iOS3.1.3 without jailbreaking, and if so how?

Any help is muchly appreciated!

Thanks

Hunter109

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
Download RecBoot (mac only, google it)

and download the 3.1.3 file - http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...00202.pbnrt/iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

^direct link, save to desktop

and hold "option" when you click "restore" in itunes, select the 3.1.3 ipsw you saved to your desktop. when the restore is done, you will get an error message. open RECBOOT and click exit recovery mode. Then you iphone will boot with the 3.1.3 OS. I did this on my 3GS a few days ago. worked fine.

PS - the link to the 3.1.3 is the ipsw for the iphone 3G only, do not use for 2G/3GS.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
This procedure worked fine on my 3G to go back from OS4.0 to 3.1.3. It apparently won't work on a 3Gs.

But I have returned to 4.0 and now upgraded to 4.01. I finally decided that 4.0 is fine for me. I felt the same way you did at first, but a restore as a new phone and rebuild of the installed applications made things fine for me.

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
This procedure worked fine on my 3G to go back from OS4.0 to 3.1.3. It apparently won't work on a 3Gs.

But I have returned to 4.0 and now upgraded to 4.01. I finally decided that 4.0 is fine for me. I felt the same way you did at first, but a restore as a new phone and rebuild of the installed applications made things fine for me.

It won't work on a 3GS unless you have your SHSH saved because Apple has to verify all software on 3GS (and iPhone 4 for that matter). But the 3G doesn't need firmware verification. :)

mstrmac

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
EARTH

A restore as a new phone and rebuild of the installed applications made things fine for me also. The phone works just as good on iOS 4.1 as it did on iOS3.

I lost all my camera roll photos but that was my fault. No big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.