Iphone 3g downgrading questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by someguy020, Mar 2, 2011.

1. someguy020, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

someguy020 macrumors newbie

I admit I am new to this iphone business, as my friend just gave me an iPhone 3g two weeks ago. However, I feel that it runs quite slowly. According to the forum, this is because it is running 4.2.1.

1. Will I benefit from a significant speed increase if I downgrade it to 3.1.3? I have read that even if I change it back to 3.1.3 there are things left behind from 4.2.1 that will still slow down the system.

2. What is your opinion on using Whited00r? It's supposed to be 3.1.3 hacked to allow 4.2.1 features, but I haven't been able to find a lot of info about it.

3. None of this affects my ability to use my iPhone with T-mobile right? I can change the firmware to 3.1.3 and be ready to go on T-mobile?

In order to run it on my provider (T-mobile), I jailed broke it with redsn0w, installed 06.15 baseband and unlocked it with ultrasn0w. I also tried the reboot trick to improve performance to no avail.

I found this guide on changing it to 3.1.3, I assume this is how you do it:
    http://lifehacker.com/#!5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

1. Going back to 3.1.3 will make the iPhone a lot faster than it is now.

2. Never heard of whitedoor.

3. You'll still be able to use T-Mobile. Once you jailbreak again, you'll just have to install ultrasn0w.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You have to upgrade your baseband to 06.15 first before you downgrade your firmware to 3.1.3.

Redsn0w 0.9.6b6 can't recognize 3.1.3 when you open it. this version allow you to install ipad baseband. This is the reason for my comment above.

4. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Follow the instructions in the link in my signature as i had to do my 3G too.
    Good Luck