iphone 3g dropped in water...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alikatgrrl, Apr 25, 2009.

1. alikatgrrl macrumors newbie

OK, i was taking pictures of my sons first swim with my husband... and all of a sudden it slipped in slow motion and went to the bottom of the pool. I went in after in.

I was fully submerged a full 30-45 seconds. I took it right out, and it was vibrating, non stop... and the screen would not turn on at all.

I called Apple care, and they told me to not take it apart, and put it in a bowl of rice to absorb water. He said that if this will work, it would work within 3 days.

Anyway... it vibrated non stop for a good hour (i'm assuming until the battery died) and after about half hour a white screen came up... and it seemed to be just frozen.

You can see condensation on the camera lens...

Any tips / advise / should I just head to the store now instead of waiting 3 days for NOTHING ? Ugh, frustration!

Thanks!

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Follow the submersion in rice tip and place it in the back of your car in the direct sunlight (the container, not the phone). The heat will help the water evaporate while the rice absorbs it.

I think it's worth the wait if it's going to save you a few hundred dollars.

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Chances are pretty slim it's gonna come back to life after than performance, IMO.

I would just buy a new one right now but still try to save your damaged one. If it works, sell it as a water damage recovery (full disclosure of the situation, of course). I'm sure someone would still be happy to buy it and you could partially recover the cost of the new one.

Either way, it surely can't hurt to sacrifice $0.07 worth of rice to see if it works again.

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

You can also wait till June/July. A new iPhone is rumored to come out.

5. alikatgrrl thread starter macrumors newbie

ok- so I have one more question...

IF I DO buy a replacement, it's $299... how are water damaged phones for sale on ebay for over $200? Do I have to return my phone in order to buy a new one at retail price? I just don't get it...

6. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Keep it in the rice for 72hrs.

The reason is because if you attempt to power on the phone when there is still condensation within, the internal components might get damaged (when originally they weren't).

7. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Just keep it in the rice and dont be tempted to turn it on... not even just to check