iPhone 3G electric shock!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nipz, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Hey all,

I had my iPhone plugged in to the mains today. A got a phone call and as i put the phone to my ear i got an electric shock, which made me drop the phone!!! My ear is red at the top, and looks stupid lol

I have searched for anything like this before and cant seem to find anything.

Anyone heard of this before? It really hurt and dont want to have it happen again.

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I don't know if its supposed to happen or not, but it happened to me while I had it plugged into my computer. I dropped the phone and hung up on my dad who was calling from France. :rolleyes:

3. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Anyone said anything to Apple. I will ring in the morning as i dont want to leave it plugged in over night etc! never be too safe

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

May have just been static, but as your ear is red, that seems like more that a static shock. I wouldn't be worried about it, hell I remember with my Razr, you could put your tongue on the chromed-plastic hinge and get a zap:p

5. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

lol im not trying that!

It def wasnt static, it still stings now and its been 2 hours at least now!

6. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I can feel the aluminium edge (atleast i think its aluminium, the shiny rim) of the iPhone sting against my forearm like little constant electric shocks when i have it lying on my desk when plugged in to my pc but nothing as major as what happened to you

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yeah I can assure that its not static, it HURTS when it happens.

8. appledrone macrumors regular

Picture or I call fake!.....LOL.... Joking!

If I were you I'd take it to an apple store and ask (nicely) to have it swapped for a new one. If they refuse, make a new appointment at the genius bar at a busy time a couple of days later, walk in the shop and when the concierge asks if they can help, say (slightly loudly) I would like to swap my iPhone as it has electrocuted me! When they see customers' ears twitching, they'll soon swap it :)

I had a similar problem with a 17" mbp a year or so ago, it was outputting a constant charge through the case when connected to the mains. The above method worked for me!

9. mrbass macrumors member

I get shocked about once every 2 weeks or so. Kinda scary but I think it has to do with my defective plug/transformer that was recalled but I have yet to turn in for a new one. I really think apple design is terrible with the short power cords. I have to use a power block extension just to be able to use mine in bed. Also I have nightmares about being jolted awake with that exposed plug touching my lips and electrocuting me.

10. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

thats something else, never ever experienced that.

thats serious, you might want to contact apple about that.

11. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

This makes no sense since any charge build-up or short in the phone would discharge through your hand when you pick up the phone. Were you wearing gloves? Were they wool, or were you wearing anything wool? Wool picks up static charge like crazy, and would most certainly be the culprit if you were wearing any, and would insulate you against the phone until it touches your ear. The only other possibility is that the shock came from the speaker, and was not from the ground connection. This would denote a faulty capacitor in the phone (whether there is one in the phone with the capacity to do this is questionable), and you may probably want to return it if it keeps up.

There is also another possibility since it was plugged into the mains. Just like the apple laptops, the iPhone can't discharge any built charge through the protective earth ground prong since it doesn't use it (the laptops can if you use the 3 prong plug). Therefore, it is possible that charge built up from the mains somehow through faulty insulation in the iPhone. This won't hurt anything but you, and should require you to be wearing gloves for it to discharge to your ear.

12. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Is this why the wall plug was recalled?? Does your wall charger have a green dot on it?

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

They were recalled becuade the prongs could fall off and get stuck in the wall. This also has nothing to do with the shock...I had my phone plugged into my MacBook Pro when it happened to me.

14. Alex Travellion macrumors newbie

Electric iPhone...

Really interested in getting your opinions on my iPhone 'issue'.

When the iPhone is plugged in to a power source I get an electric charge from the metal rim.

A very poor video of the issue is here.

http://alextravellion.wordpress.com/iphone/

Many thanks,

Alex

15. Untaken macrumors member

I believe this issue is actually what fried my old iPhone 3G. One night I had it charging on my table when I reached over to get it. ZAP! The screen came on and I didn't think much of it. The next day it refused to charge or sync.

Now I feel like I have to ground myself before picking up my phone. :mad:

Note: This wasn't the first time this had happened and sure as hell hasn't been the last (it is the only time it caused the phone to malfunction though). I've had the same issue with two replacement phones.

16. redspade04 macrumors newbie

i havent had this happen but i think its cool. i like getting zapped. when i wire a socket up or something, ill take the wires and hold them. it dont hurt, just causes my hand to tense up. heck, i was shocked from a 240v cause my dad said the power was shut off... blew me off the 8ft ladder i was on. so i would like to see my phone shock me like that, cause it would be cool.

17. Alex Travellion macrumors newbie

Well I DON'T like it....

Me and shocks don't get on!

I'm normal like that!

:):):):):)

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Wait...WTF. Did I really just read that or am I high?

19. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Hey all!

I went to the Apple store the other week and got another iPhone. The guy didnt believe me until he plugged it in and got shocked himself! He said he has never had a shock from an iPhone and when i spoke to them on the phone they said they had never heard of it either. So if this is happening to you please complain to let Apple know its happening.

Thanks

Ben

20. Alex Travellion macrumors newbie

Apple have said that they WILL give me a new iPhone as a 'goodwill' gesture. Problem is I will need to be without the phone for a week or travel 2 hours to the nearest store. Possibly they'd send me one new if I pay up front for it PLUS £30 for the pleasure.

Not great - I will point out to them today that it is THEIR phone that is shocking ME so maybe they could be a little more customer friendly!

AT

21. Haephestos macrumors regular

Shockz!!
    My mother's iPhone did this to me as well. It was plugged into a loudspeaker at the time.

22. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

You wont believe this but my new iPhone has just shocked me again!!! This time through the right side of the metal frame.

On the phone to Apple atm...

Update: Apple are talking to their engineers and getting back to me in 20 mins!

Update 2: Spoke to Apple again, sent all my info about the problem to their engineers and will contact to me tomorrow with further details.

23. chefshouse macrumors newbie

I just picked up my iPhone plugged into my laptop and put it up to my ear and got quite an electric shock. It is quite painful. When I off the cover which means my hand was in physical contact with the metal rim that seems to be passing the current then there was no shock. Even with the cover on as long as my hand has good contact with the metal rim there is no shock. When I touch the rim it must ground it.

24. Alex Travellion macrumors newbie

...maybe the socket isn't earthed? Try it in another socket in the house. Does it do it when USB'd to the Mac?

(Incidentally - Apple gave me an 'exception' and have sent me a new iPhone)

AT

25. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

That would mean i would get a shock off everything though surely?

It happens in two different sockets for me. With Two iPhones... really weird!