iPhone 3G Error 6 Phones also stuck in DFU?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacBookkis, Oct 12, 2008.

1. MacBookkis macrumors newbie

iPhone 3g Error 6 help?
    I recently bought a 16gig iPhone 3g from the worlds famous craigslist. Everything went fine till i got a bright white screen one day. So i figured a hard reset a do the job.
    Phone restarted but with no sign of the screen being on. So I thought okay let me see if the computer will find it if i plug it in. Sure enuff the computer found it but the phone was in DFU mode.
    So iTunes is requesting to restore it. So i went ahead and downloaded the restore file threw iTunes and went onto restoring the phone. Everything started off fine until i got the last stage "Verifying iPhone firmware" it looks like its gonna complete but just at that moment the phone's screen shuts off and i get a message that states the following.
    The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6). I've done a lot of searches but none have a definite fix. I've also tried to restore with laptop with no luck same error everytime.

Side Notes.
    When i get the error 6 the phone cuts off and there are no signs of the screen being on. Sorta like it never leaves dfu mode unless the restore process is initiated. Thats when i get the Apple logo and spinning wheel.

I'm running..
    Windows Xp Pro - Desktop
    Vista Basic - Laptop
    Both are giving the error 6

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

,Thanks in advance.

2. tsiking4 macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G Error 6 Phones also stuck in DFU?

I got the same error. its just a black screen and my computer recognizes it on restore mode. when i try to restore itunes give me error 6. my phone is a 3gs 16gb previously running 3.1.2.

no luck finding a solution!!!

3. CameronTylar macrumors newbie

Help! Please!

I'm having the EXACT same problem, and I mean exact.
    I have a 16gb iPhone 3G that is stuck in DFU, but the screen will not turn on, unless put through the restore process, in which I encounter "error 6" at "Verifying iPhone Restore" and the screen turns off. and then it will pop back up in itunes in DFU again. :(

4. gsm1999 macrumors newbie

Fix for error '6"

Download ht t p://ra pid share.com/users/RZF0EV

2. use itunes to restore from this file 'SHIFT+Click' method
    3. U ll get error 6
    4. Use irecovery to get past the subsequent recovery mode

Commands for iRecovery mode:
    run iRecovery SW ... iRecovery -s

Send these commands;
    setenv auto-boot true
    saveenv
    fsboot or reboot

phone now reboots... Wait

or use ih8snow fix recovery mode loop

Download http://rapidshare.com/users/RZF0EV

5. nrollin macrumors newbie

This might sound mad, but the only time I'd had the dreaded White screen error was when I switched to a new computer where I'd installed a new firewall. I tried to update the iPhone firmware and during the update I got a warning from my firewall saying it had blocked a suspicious program.

How helpful of it to block my iPhone from communicating with iTunes during a firmware update! It took three frenzied and failed attempts to reinstall before I thought to turn off the firewall and try again. Worked straight away.

So just on the off chance it's worth checking your firewall settings to ensure you aren't having the same issue. If you are, it's easily fixed at least!