Iphone 3G for iphone 3gs replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Makman8, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

Does anyone know what the rate is to swap out a water damaged 3G for a refurb? Also is it possible they are starting to switch them out for 3GS? Just curious as I acquired a broken 3g for free and wondering if its worth swaping it out for a new one :)

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Out-of-warranty repairs for anything other than the iPhone 4s was $149 the last time I looked on Apple's support website.

And at the store I worked at, they could do out-of-warranty repairs for iPods that were like 5+ generations behind (although it'd take a day or two to get the replacement shipped over to the store), so I don't think you're likely to get a 3GS.

Here you go:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

Expand the bottom "My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?" option.

3. Makman8 thread starter macrumors member

Makman8

Ahh I see, so no luck then :( Well thanks for taking the time to reply!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will not replace it with a 3GS. Company policy.
    An out of warranty replacement for an iphone 3G is $150 so its not worth it getting a replacement for that much money for an old and slow iphone model like that IMO.

5. Makman8 thread starter macrumors member

Makman8

Yeah I was hoping their refurbs would be depleted by now lol. I know there are special occasions where they do replace units with newer models but that is rare as you said because of company policy.

Maybe I should hold on to it for a couple more years in hopes!? haha :p

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You'd be surprised.
    They still have 2G replacements so iphone 3G shouldnt be that hard to find.