Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paingod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
guys,

I saw this posted on a website:
http://dubai.classifieds4me.com/For_Sale/Electronics/14942.html
Posted in: Dubai - For Sale / Electronics
Reply To: ben_overmars99@yahoo.com
Date Posted: Sep-15-2008
Posting Id: 14942

Below are prices of our phones.
Blackberry Curve 8310 Crimson Red ....$200
Blackberry Pearl 8120 ...$200
HTC Touch Diamond .....$300
HTC Touch Cruise ...$250
BlackBerry 8320 Curve ....$200
Nokia N95 8GB ......$210
Nokia N95 16GB ......$230
Nokia N96 16GB ......$300
Nokia 8800 .....$200
Nokia 8800 Arte ......$250
Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte ......$300
Nokia 6600 Slide ......$250
Nokia 8600 Luna ......$250
Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 ......$299
Sony Ericsson G900 ......$240
LG KU990 Viewty ......$200
Samsung P520 Armani ......$200
Samsung U900 Soul ......$220
Apple iPhone 16GB ....$300
Apple iPhone 3G 16GB ....$350
Apple iPhone 8GB .....$250
BlackBerry 9000 Bold ......$250

If you are interested in other products that is not listed then let me know so i can give you the price. Shipping is free and delivery takes 48hours after payment confirmation.
We accept payment via Money gram.
Get back with your complete order and shipping details.
Email me on: ben_overmars99@yahoo.com
Regards,
Ben

Of course being an apple fan (I plan to switch to MBP after more than 10 years on windows), I emailed the guy and he confirmed the iPhone 3G 16GB is USD350. That all said is a dream come true.

I did transfer money his accountant Martins Dixon who he mentioned is in England (nobody use that word these days). I wired the money (via Western Union, he wanted MoneyGram initially) and next thing you know, he mentioned the guy who packed screwed up and packed up to 10 iPhone 3G 16GB all together and now it is stuck at shipment. Initially he wanted me to pay USD 2450 for the other 7 phones and his boss will compensate me with 2 phones, later after a long discussion, he sez he'll front the other 4, his accountant fronts 1, I front for one more, and the remaining one he'll do something about it.

Is this a scam? Cause he did send a proforma to me and it sez his shop is in Canada @ 70 Don Mills Road Toronto, Ontario, M3C IT3 Canada. (can n1 check if this place is legit, the shop is called Ben's Mobile Gallery Ltd:))

I sooooooooo want this to be true but half of me is telling its a scam and get outta it before I lose more money. I'm in Dubai btw, and he said he can get the shipment over in 48 hours.

Thx guys!:D

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I sooooooooo want this to be true but half of me is telling its a scam and get outta it before I lose more money. I'm in Dubai btw, and he said he can get the shipment over in 48 hours.

You're in Dubai, you can stand to lose the money if it's a scam. I'm sure you can afford to lose money in several scams.

paingod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
You're in Dubai, you can stand to lose the money if it's a scam. I'm sure you can afford to lose money in several scams.

LOL, I'm from Malaysia, working in Dubai. Just a marketing exec, struggling through here

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I live in toronto and have been in the guys area a few times, there are a few stores there but im 95% sure there isnt a cell phone store around 70 don mills road, im pretty sure it was a scam.:(

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
you shouldn't really use western union... Paypal or a verified escrow service is much safer.

Anyway it sounds like the classic nigerian scam. I wish I was nigerian sometimes. People would be sending me crazy amounts of money.

paingod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Hoping it is true

oh hell, and there I was hoping I stumbled onto the source of unlocked iPhones. Can n1 drive and find the place :p

paingod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
wishful thinking

guess I might as well just cut it. If it is legit, I'll get my phone in a month or so he says, otherwise I'm just sending more money to burn. I might as well get the new 32GB touch than sending money to this dude again.....But thanks guys, my gut feeling told me it might be a scam, but well, u always hope for the best ya know?

so.....ny1 knows where I can get an iPhone either in UK or Florida with no contract? thing is I might have to head to Fort Lauderdale (Florida) and UK sometime soon

paingod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Factory Unlocks iPhones

n1 knows where to get those factory unlocked iPhones and how much would they costs? Last I heard was Hong Kong but that's a whopping USD 1260 for a 16GB, and I just notice Singapore has it unlocked, but I'm not sure of the price tho

Maury

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
guys,
Is this a scam? Cause he did send a proforma to me and it sez his shop is in Canada @ 70 Don Mills Road Toronto, Ontario, M3C IT3 Canada. (can n1 check if this place is legit, the shop is called Ben's Mobile Gallery Ltd:))

Dunno, but according to Google Maps 70 Don Mills Road is a bridge over the Don River. South of that there's a few houses and nothing else. North of that is the Ontario Science Center, at 770 Don Mills. Between the two there's two schools, some high-rise apartments, and a few small plazas.

But the real question is this: how did he get a 3G phone without a plan? You can't. Scam. Western Union payments? Scam. Shipping and billing in different countries? Scam. Pay before shipping? Scam.

Maury

paingod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Dunno, but according to Google Maps 70 Don Mills Road is a bridge over the Don River. I bike over it all the time.

There's very little retail space in the area, it's mostly high-rise apartments and little plazas. It could be run out of someone's apartment, I guess.

But the real question is this: how did he get a 3G phone without a plan?

Maury

he mentioned he got it from the factories, as I know after the famous iPhone 3G girl, most phones are manufactured in China, or could this be a secret factory :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.