iPhone 3G: Full EDGE Signal but is far too slow

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duracraft, Sep 17, 2008.

1. duracraft macrumors newbie

I have a full 5 bars of Edge but when using safari, webpages take anywhere from 2 - 5mins to load up, that is even if they do load up at all, sometimes it tells me it's given up after a minute.

I can't seem to get 3G where I am, and the speed is fine with wifi - taking about 15 - 45secs to load up webpages with, I am perfectly happy with the wifi speeds.

I'm pretty anoyyed and close to going back to my £15 phone and buying an ipod touch for £200 less.

So what can I do? Should Edge be this slow? A faulty phone perhaps?

2. rsk137 macrumors member

To put it simply, EDGE isn't very fast. Here's a couple tests that I did over the EDGE network (don't have 3G in my area). It also depends on what kind of sites you visit. Picture/Video heavy sites or sites with a ton of content will take longer than a full text site. A full 4-5 minutes to load a page isn't typically normal though. I suggest timing page loads again to make sure.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As you can tell, the speed varies a bit.

3. duracraft thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont even think I'm on edge actually, I get a blue circle icon where my wifi icon would normally be when i turn it off. I'm supposed to be in a high 3G area according to O2!