Iphone 3G FW 2.1 Unlock/Activate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcel500, Sep 20, 2008.

1. marcel500 macrumors regular

Dear community.

I am have the following serious issue and need your help/clarification.

1. Be in India and bought an Iphone 3G at a local Vodafone store.
    2. Activated the iphone with the help of a friends vodafone sim card (vodafone india) via Itunes.
    3. Used pwnage tool (Version 2.1) for Iphone 3G to unlock, jailbreak, activate the phone.
    4. After a successfull pwnage and use of my own T-mobile card I released that I do not have signal, don't even a provider name is shown in the upper left corner of the phone.

The questions is now, what did I wrong? It's a pitty for me.

Thanks for help.

2. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

The pwnage tool does not unlock the iPhone 3G, it only jailbreaks it. There is no software unlock for the iPhone 3G right now. That is why you are getting no signal.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You bought an iPhone 3G. That's your problem. :)

At this point, the Pwnage tool does not unlock the 3G version of the iPhone. It can be jailbroken, but not unlocked.

Unlocking only works at this point for the 2G version.

4. marcel500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the straight forward answer.

Does it looks like that in the near future an unlock will be released or does it makes sense to sell the phone or even try to give it back to vodafone?

5. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Hard sayin', not knowin'.

6. Inukami macrumors 6502

hardware unlocking is your only solution. Hardware unlocking is using a smart sim card with w/e sim card you want to use in the sim tray. The smart sim card tricks the iphone into thinking its still with the same carrier and acts as a blank sheet. You can buy them for cheap like $20. If you do buy one make sure it works with w/e version your firmware is.

The smart sim cards that i know of are rebelsim, turbosim, yessim, any-sim, smartsim.

7. marcel500 thread starter macrumors regular