iphone 3g genius bar swap/replacement procedure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Billy M, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Billy M macrumors newbie

it looks like a lot of people have had their devices swapped out for replacements due to a multitude of problems here so i was hoping someone could help me out...

i have an appointment wednesday at the apple store, my back casing is cracked, plus some 3g/edge issues too. my question is, when they replace the phone, do they just swap the sim card?

also, what's the procedure to get all the data back onto it? do i need to do a restore from my computer, or do they take care of it for me? one more question, what transfers back to the phone, recent calls, text messages? just want to know what to expect and if i need to write down some of these recent call numbers and any important info in a text message?

thanks...

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just connect the phone to your computer before your appointment and let it do a backup. They'll swap the sim cards between your old and new phone but you'll lose your call history and text messages--at least I did. All of your calendar appointments, contacts, applications, music and video will transfer over when you reconnect your new phone to your home computer.

You may have to reset your voicemail password with AT&T--even if you never set a voicemail password on your original phone.

3. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

they will swap your sim but you will have to register your new phone with att before you will have your data working correctly. they will need to know the new IMEI. att claims that you can not swap sims between phones. i always just grab a new sim at the store and activate it. i'm not sure about whether the sim swap does or does not work but you definitely have to let att know your new IMEI.

as far as your data, you should just make sure everything is on your library and it will all sync on the first dock. this also includes your calendar and contacts. obviously, you should back everything up first just in case.

4. joebokeh macrumors member

you jus get the phone replaced... They will swap the sim into the new phone...

They won't transfer any data.. You need to backup to your iTunes and once u hook up the new phone, it should be like the replacement never happened...

Now if for some reason you have no backup... Then you're gonna have to transfer numbers manually...

Be prepared to be rejected... Be prepared to get a worse unit... Definitely be prepared to go through the process a multitude of times depending on how picky you are....

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

don't expect your 3g issues to be fixed ... It sounds like your part of the OCD crew that is going for a zomg perfect phone

As stated before unless you have a serious defect you may end up getting a worse phone

6. Billy M thread starter macrumors newbie

zomg? sorry, i don't speak 12-year-old...

there's always one d'bag out to offend, i don't even know why i'm validating it with a response.

good to know that i will lose the recents and texts, basically like any other phone... thanks

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816

if you back the phone up you will get the recent calls and texts back in your list when you restore from that backup when you get home..

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

ha, 12 yr. old is a rather difficult vernacular to get used to, isn't it?

as mentioned, just do a backup right before you go in and all your info (texts 'n junk included) should get transferred.

9. cenetti macrumors 6502

LMAO... Good one...

10. s2smooth4u macrumors regular

can I walk in and just swap phones out or do you need to have an appointment

11. Billy M thread starter macrumors newbie

good to hear... i've got an appointment around lunchtime at that zoo they call the apple store cube! looks like as long as i back up tonight, everything will be waiting for me when i restore from the backup... if not it's really not the end of the world. thanks guys...

oh and the truth is i wouldnt even care about the cracks but it's right by that silent/ring switch and i'm afraid one day is gonna crack just a little too much and boom, there goes the button!

and yes, 12 year old vernacular is tough to get used to, even when you're only 24... just another reason to make me feel 'old' hahaha!