iPhone 3G, Get Away, GPRS is much better!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Santa Rosa, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Well thats what you could take from the following on the CarphoneWarehouse website lol :rolleyes:

Here is another "iPhone Killer" :rolleyes: plus some interesting information for you to take a look at. Uhh yeeaaa..... :rolleyes:

Carphonewarehouse.jpg

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

"Please note, GPRS is not quite as fast as 3G"

also, look below that, it says 3G!!!

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

CPW knows how to write some very convincing ads. Though as much as I want one of those (I mean, they make it sound so great), I think that I'll stick with my iPhone. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing that, it was a good laugh. Do you have a link to that page? I'd like to read the rest of the categories and see if they're as bad.

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

A client of mine just got that Samsung. It is butt ugly and very cheaply made.
    He hates it and is ready to switch to Att and the iPhone.

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

6. Rigsby macrumors regular

Hold it, what's that just to the right of the speaker? Is that a front facing camera? And Picture Messaging? It's got everything the iPhone needs - according to most of the posters on here anyway.

7. Santa Rosa thread starter macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

This would be the link, its in the read more section :rolleyes:

Boys, its just a laugh, no need to get all technical on it. Lighten it up over there!! :rolleyes: :)

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i heard GPRS is faster then 3G anyways....i dont get it

9. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I must be missing something because I don't quite know what you're getting at.

10. Rigsby macrumors regular

My understanding is that GPRS is better for some applications because of the way it transmits small packets of data. It might not have the speed of 3G, but for something like email it can handle the small transfers more efficiently.

11. nakile macrumors regular

For those of you who are not getting the joke:

GPRS is the bare basics of data service. It provides speeds around 30 or 40 kbps. EDGE may feel like dial-up, but GPRS is dial-up in the technical sense.

12. Santa Rosa thread starter macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Way to go to ruin a bit of a laugh, right you have now so this is how it goes.

If you read what the picture said it says using GPRS to send video. GPRS on a phone is SLOW!!!!

Read what is in the picture, you might get it then, if not it really doesnt matter anymore. :rolleyes: :(

Thank you, unfortunately its too late now...

13. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

quit licken apples nuts ffs, the i900 has far more features then the iPhone, lets get one thing straight, apple are late to the 3g party, they could have done it last year as most 3g chipsets are backward compatible with edge, they simply did it to save themselves money.

14. Santa Rosa thread starter macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Wow, just wow. The entire point of the thread has been missed by an unquantifiable distance.

15. Rigsby macrumors regular

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No it isn't. WAP is dialup. GPRS is a a discrete, always on service. That's why phone providers charge by the megabyte rather than by the minute, as they did with WAP.

I don't see anything wrong with Carphone Warehouse's page, other than maybe being a bit old fashioned. GPRS is considerably faster than WAP, and not as fast as 3G (mostly). The phone listed supports both.

Phazer

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I just don't get the joke, nowhere on the page does it even imply that GPRS isn't as good as 3G, in fact it specifically says 3G is faster.

Joke ftl :p