iPhone 3G gets access to my router without MAC address set up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobile23, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

i bought 2 iPhone 3G and went i got home i connected them to my Time Capsule. but i forgot to add the new iPhones' MAC addresses into the router. and they are still able to connect to my WiFi network. that's odd....

then i try with my AirPort Extreme. they were still able to get connected.....

so does that mean iPhone 3G somehow can break MAC address filter security? :D

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

i mean MAC address filtering..... and i also have WPA Wireless Security set up on my Time Capsule

4. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

They can connect, but can they access the network?

I know what you are talking about as I use MAC address filtering.

5. frosse macrumors 6502a

I too have had some turns with MAC address filtering, it was kind of odd actually.

On my network i had MAC address filtering switched OFF, due to some unknown reason. Anyway, when the filter was OFF I was unable to use my touch on the network. But then I added the touch to my router it suddenly started working. Have no idea why this was, though.

Weird.

6. demiurgical macrumors member

I have a D-Link DGL-4300 router with MAC address filtering on +WEP. I wasn't able to connect to it with my 3G iPhone until I added it's MAC address to the router.

~