iPhone 3G: Gets very hot and the battery dies quickly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Flipadelphia, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Flipadelphia macrumors member

This just happened recently. I can feel the thing in my pocket heating up. The battery goes from full charge to empty in the matter of a couple hours.

Oddly though, this morning it said I had no service and my phone was normal temp and the battery lasted a long time. Or course i needed services so I turned the phone off and on and the service was back and so was the hot phone.

The phone is over a year old. I've tried all of the trick. Hard Reboot. Reset all of my settings etc.

Any ideas? Or a link to a thread to help?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You need to totally restore the phone using iTunes WITHOUT using the backup. Manually re-set all your settings, re-load your apps, and MANUALLY enter your e-mail info in the phone (don't just tell iTunes to sync the e-mail data).

What's probably happening is that something in your phone is confused and is checking its server non-stop. Like, maybe your e-mail is looking for new mail every 15 seconds or something.

If that's the case, it's a bug in your software, not a setting you can just "fix" by changing it. So you need to start fresh. Sadly, using any of the backups could easily bring the bug back as it may have been backed up itself. Re-do everything manually so you don't accidentally bring the problem back again.

See if that fixes it. If not then it's a hardware problem and you need to take it to the Apple store. But what I've said is what they'll suggest first. You have to be able to say "Yeah, I did that and it didn't help" if you want them to look closer at the hardware.

If your e-mail is IMAP and your contacts are synced with something, you'll get all your data back. Most stuff on the phone (Facebook, Dropbox, etc) are things that keep their data online, so you shouldn't lose much. The one thing you WILL lose is game scores and saved states. Those are kept in the backup, but like I said, you can't risk using it.

I really hope Apple adds a feature where you can select PARTS of the backup to restore, like, tell it to restore game data but nothing else. That would be super-useful in cases like this, but sadly you don't have that option right now.

I hope it helps. My wife had that exact problem and this fixed it.

3. Flipadelphia thread starter macrumors member

My work email has been acting strange, so this could be it.

Thanks! I will keep you posted!

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you have that suspicion, maybe try erasing that account from the phone first and just putting that account back in manually.

If that fixes it, it'll save you a lot of time!

If it doesn't help, then try the full restore.

5. Flipadelphia thread starter macrumors member

This worked. I erased all of my email accounts and it is working fin now...

Thanks!