iPhone 3G Glass Harder to Clean? Retains Stains?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaMerVipere, Jul 22, 2008.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I've had my iPhone 3G since Saturday and aside from the buggy 2.0 software (which I guess I can excuse for now since it's brand new) and crappy signal, which is worse than my old iPhone (which is strange considering the new audio improvements are fantastic, nice loud and clear), I've noticed something else.

The screen seems to be REALLY hard to get clean. In fact, try as I might, I can't seem to get it completely clean. Is anyone else encountering this?

With my old iPhone, all I ever needed to do was wipe the front with my shirt or anything soft to get it clean. Even putting it in my pocket sometimes would make the front spotless.

Not so with my iPhone 3G. I can try rubbing it clean with all sorts of materials and it's still smudgy and streaky. Also, it seems like there are specks or spots or stains that don't go away no matter what I do. Also, and I don't know why this is, but the glass on my iPhone would reflect things perfectly with no distortion, however the glass on my iPhone 3G causes reflections to look ripply.

I'll try and gather some photo evidence soon if no one believes me. And it's not like I abuse my iPhone 3G either, I put it in a case at the Apple Store when I first opened it up.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It doesn't seem any less easier to clean this glass than it did on my 1st Gen.

3. HTrig macrumors member

I've had to replace my iPhone a few times due to defects and I've found each time the plastic film that originally covers the screen leaves the glass slightly tacky for a few days after, making it harder to clean for a little while. It may be that the iPhone 3G is the same. Extra dirt may then account for the distortion.

I apologize if I'm wrong though.

4. Jsha224 macrumors newbie

What are you using to clean it with? I've found with all of Apple's glass surfaces, chemicals leave residue. Same with just a dry cloth. I have been using a cloth damp with just cold water and then drying it a dry washcloth. No residue, streaks, etc with that. Same with the iPhone 3G.