iPhone 3G - Going Abroad - Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mesh1o, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mesh1o macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

First of all thank you all for taking time out to read this, I'm flying out from the UK to India next week for a month, and don't want to be using o2 out there... now I never though about jail breaking my iPhone purely because I think it voids my insurance :/ but now i think it will be the best thing to do while abroad (as i am not covered abroad any ways..)

So a few questions really, if i jailbreak can i:

Use an Indian SimCard (Airtel or Vodaphone India)
    Use any applications (specifically the Orb iPhone one)

and then when i come back just put it back to normal, so it will be like before jailbreaking.

If so, then is the way forward using winpwn? I tried searching for similar topics but the answers weren't answering my questions directly - so thought i'd post :)

Thank you once again :)

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

With the 3G, you have to have something like a TurboSIM. There is no unlock solution for the 3G that is software yet.

3. mesh1o thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ex8886 macrumors member

No, that won't work, that's only for the first gen iPhone. If you have 2.1 (or earlier), you could get one from hypersimstore.com (where I got mine), or from ebay but making sure that it's for the 3G. If you have 2.2, you're pretty much out of luck, I don't know that any of those work on 2.2, since Apple closed it down pretty good.