iPhone 3G got a nice bath in the rain tonight.. help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tinknology, Aug 20, 2010.

1. tinknology macrumors newbie

So my jacket pocket thought it would be nice to kick my iPhone 3G out of its space while i was running inside from my car. The iPhone landed face down (with a gel cover) in the yard. It did rain for a bit while it was outside, and the ground was already soaked from the rain earlier tonight. It sat in the yard for approximately 1.5 hours. I picked it up, pressed the power button(it never turned itself off), and it came up to my home screen, missed alerts showing up and all. It seemed okay for the most part. However, when i went to play a song from the iPod app, no sound came out. Whenever i toggle the silence button, nothing happens. Was acting weird, saying that it lost service, found service, headphone sound was going up and down without me touching anything. I went into the settings and played a ringtone.. success. It played. The speakers aren't completely shot. Then i did the very stupid thing of turning it off and turning it back on. It worked fine, with the sporadic activity that i mentioned earlier. The LCD looks unblemished. Right now it is powered off, standing up (so water can flow out of the bottom.. right?) in a bag of uncooked rice, and will be sitting there for a few days.

What do you think my diagnosis is? I'm itching to find out. And can I do anything differently?

2. vonhess macrumors newbie

vonhess

I had taken a shower my 3Gs was in my pants well one of the 5 iPhone H20 thing’s went off Apple said $200 as it was under warranty & I did nothing anything made to be used as a cell phone should be able to take I got pissed asked to talk to the Manger then got mad around people in the store what BS it was they fixed it. You said you have water draining out? Man that sounds like a dead phone man I bet you can get the new 3GS for $100 it is far better then the iPhone 4 (I hate them its a POS) can run iOS4 it is your best bet bud. Hope I was of help.

3. tinknology thread starter macrumors newbie

No, water isn't "draining" out, but i figure if there is any water then i would help it out using gravity to pull it out the bottom. I'm hoping that my physical buttons on the side aren't messed up, and that it was acting sporadic only because a few circuits were wet.

4. vonhess macrumors newbie

vonhess

I know you can take it to a place online for $75 + but if you can deal with upgrading I would use a water absorbing something and see if it will work if not Apple wants $200 to fix it the 3GS is much better or a Google Nexus or any new good Android if you want a iPhone get the 3GS the 4 sucks T mobile has the Nexus that's what I would get. Hope it works out man.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Follow this bot's advice :rolleyes:

What you should've done was to turn off the phone right away OP. You might've already fried something in there by trying to use it. Hopefully things work out after drying-- good luck.