iPhone 3G GPS Car Dock Solution? GPS reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MadDog31, Oct 25, 2008.

1. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I've done some searching on here and came up with good results. Most of the car docks that were shown by users were vent-based devices and also suction cup devices.

I'm looking to have a decent solution so I can utilize the GPS while driving. I prefer to have it on the side of my stereo (would require some hardware and taking the radio out but it's nothing I haven't done before) and I'd do a vent holder out of emergency. I don't mind the suction cup mostly, but having that thing jutting down from my windshield may not look as 'clean'.

My car stereo does not have an AUX and no CD changer port on the back (sucks, I know). I really don't have the cheddar to switch stereos so I'm looking to see what option you've all seen work best with GPS reception. I have a Griffin charger that works fine with it. Merely need a holder where I can get good reception.

Ideas?

2. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I bought a USB car cigarette lighter adapter on ebay for $4 or something. it just has a USB connector so I put an old ipod USB cable into my car. connect it up and blue-tag the iphone above my rev-meter in the dashboard. so everytime i check my speed i can see where i am as well and if i'm still following the right way.

cost for all this: blue tag for $1 (approximately), adapter for $4. perfect "low cheddar" solution. :D

3. marcfogel macrumors regular

marcfogel

http://www.proclipusa.com

4. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both are great suggestions. Do you find that GPS signals are stronger when closer to the windshield or have you noticed that you can pull a good signal from the 'control center' of sorts?

5. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I've had pretty decent connection. the iphone is mounted behind my wheel where all the indicators are so it doesn't see much...

it sits in front of the rev meter which you can see here:
    http://www.ukcar.com/road_tests/fiat/punto/fiat-punto-steering-wheel.jpg

works like a charm so far!