iphone 3g gps cost?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theprizefight, Jun 24, 2008.

1. theprizefight macrumors member

Sorry if this has already been answered, but will GPS cost extra? or will it be included in the $30 plan? Im asking because Blackberry charges a $9.99 per month fee for the gps service and im wondering if apple will do the same (on att in US)

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Really? Are you thinking of the software that AT&T has? Cause last time I had to answer a question on this, I went to the AT&T website and noticed that their software was monthly...so I defaulted that to what people were saying about monthly.

GPS can't be tied to AT&T in anyway. AT&T don't own the satellites.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

So when you go to a retail store and buy a handheld GPS device or a car navigation system, do you pay monthly?

Think now..

4. johnryjr macrumors regular

no, i haven't seen one you pay for. i know some you don't.

John

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

No, what Blackberry is charging for is use of their special navigation software. The GPS itself is 100% free to use, it isn't a service but "always on" government-owned satellites. It's possible AT&T could create a navigation service and let you subscribe to it, but that would be foolish of them considering TomTom is working on a navigation App that they will sell for a flat fee.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

gps will cost nothing to use

but if you dont download a gps application through the app store, then all your gps is really good for is locating you.

my guess is there will be 1 or more turn by turn nav programs (Tom Tom already has theirs running) that will be offered for a 1 time charge