iPhone 3g GPS network problem not apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dazcox5181, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

just found something odd on my iPhone 3g 8gb, when I'm at home near London the gps works perfect outside, but indoors I get nothing- not even cell triangulation like the old iPhone. I thought this might be a bug in 2.0 but am in Nottingham today and get perfect location tracking indoors and outside, and really quick too.

So maybe this is a problem with o2 not apple?

What's everyone else found?

2. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

Picks me up fine indoors or out, there must be some sort of interferance in the building your in.

3. dazcox5181 thread starter macrumors 6502

no it's not the building, doesn't work at mine or in laws houses. Old iPhone 2g used to work, but hasn't for a while now indoors or out. Thought must be something with the towers in that area. I'm in Romford - anyone else close can verify?

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

GPS is from a bunch of satellites up in the sky. Satellites aren't that good at seeing thru roofs. With cellular triangulation, towers around you pin point and guess where you are by putting you in the middle. It's basic technology, so it isn't very accurate.

Did you have 3G on while using cellular triangulation? This is probably why it didn't work that well.

5. dazcox5181 thread starter macrumors 6502

don't know if it's me but every thread always has people posting replies that state the bloody obvious! I know gps doesn't work indoors- but at home the triangualtion doesn't work either, here in Nottingham it does therefore the obli thing that's different is the towers I'm connected too. I've tried and it works both on 3g and edge, at home neither work but shouldn't make any difference. And yes clearly tower trianglation is less accurate but at least it puts location services in the right area- at home I get NO location data indoors.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The bloody obvious? Maybe you should state that you know that, but surprisingly not a lot of people know that.

That really doesn't make sense. You either aren't getting a signal in your home, which you say you are, but then it should work.

What happens when you press the locate me button in maps? Does it turn blue? Does the wheel come up? How long have you waited for it to find you?

7. dazcox5181 thread starter macrumors 6502

when I press locate me indoors at home the ball spins - have left it 30mins or more with nothing, soon as I go outside gets gps lock right away(20 sec or so)

Here in Nottingham I press locate me, right now on the ground floor of a 10+ storey hotel, balls spins and within 10 sec it gets my rough location from the cell towers. If I go outside I get gps lock as expected. Wifi is off